Dual Bladder Wings - A Good Choice for Redundancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what wing are you using?
Xdeep Stealth 2.0

What cylinder is feeding your power inflator?
Left

And what was the specific protocol taught in your deco class for a runaway inflator?
The exhaust valve is on the bottom, so runaway inflator you kick down while dumping with one hand (right), disconnect the inflator hose with the left.

And how was this protocol proofed in the real world? - ie how did you demonstrate proficiency under stress.
Instructor flips underneath you, blasts your LPI. But I confess this was not under stress. That is one of the strengths of the DIR programs: demonstrating proficiency under stress built into the program. Like I have said in other posts: when it comes to tech training in Seattle, the best instruction is at 8.

How do your disconnect with one hand? The DSS hose hat? Is the inflator clipped off that tight?

I can tell you everyone I have ever known to have taken UTD or GUE T1 level classes (10+ years worth of students) has corked before being able to successfully disconnect a runaway power inflator (this is a shallow water, 30ft deep, exercise but they also usually go for it with 2 hands). There is a long history of not trying to disconnect as it never seems to actually work this way in practice. 1) Kick down, 2) shut down the right post 3) while dumping from the left butt dump, 4) switch to backup reg once you have breathed down the right post.

How do your disconnect with one hand? The DSS hose hat? Is the inflator clipped off that tight?

The inflator hose is on the lower right side of the wing, and connected across the chest to the right D-ring. It is quite snug. I do not know what a DSS hose hat is.

I can tell you everyone I have ever known to have taken UTD or GUE T1 level classes (10+ years worth of students) has corked before being able to successfully disconnect a runaway power inflator (this is a shallow water, 30ft deep, exercise but they also usually go for it with 2 hands). There is a long history of not trying to disconnect as it never seems to actually work this way in practice. 1) Kick down, 2) shut down the right post 3) while dumping from the left butt dump, 4) switch to backup reg once you have breathed down the right post.

I can imagine it would be much harder with a loose inflator hose. Not surprised about everyone corking.

Oh I soooo want someone to show up with one of these at the next GUE-F class :D

Best paired with a “slob knob” to make valve drills more convenient? ;-)

@mods: While it’s been an entertaining discussion, it might be worth splitting the double wing extravaganza into a separate thread vs the recent experiences with fundies the OP asked about?

What’s the problem with the valve? Worst thing it does is fail closed. Then you have to remove it and replace the hose or manually inflate.

There are no serious failure modes to thatt piece of gear and it would prevent a run-away inflator. I am failing to see the downsides.

What’s the problem with the valve? Worst thing it does is fail closed. Then you have to remove it and replace the hose or manually inflate.

There are no serious failure modes to thatt piece of gear and it would prevent a run-away inflator. I am failing to see the downsides.
Its another thing to leak
Can get inadvertently closed
Can get stuck open or stuck closed
You don't need it (like a dual bladder in this sense)

I had a friend splash on a 165ft super high current dive with a divealert horn attached to his inflator. The hose to dive alert came disconnected. Dropping dropping dropping like a rock. Getting a little freaked out there's no gas going into his wing. Aborted the dive.

Trimix fill and about $250 in charter costs wasted over a divealert (which is best left in a pocket until you need it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom