DSS wing - not a donut - discuss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do wings have bottom dumps?

If they have one, why don't they have two (e.g. Zeagle Ranger)?

I hardly think head down BC equalization is rare, and with a wing with only one vent, it ain't comin out the other side unless you assume a different position.

I dive wet, but I purchased a dry suit recently (which I will happily try out as soon as ScubaToys sends me my suspenders...), but I was under the impression that I would be using the BC for bouyancy and wouldn't be venting from the suit as much.

veggiedog:
Why do wings have bottom dumps?.

Every BC needs a Over Pressure Valve, that's what the "bottom dump" really is.

veggiedog:
If they have one, why don't they have two (e.g. Zeagle Ranger)?

Not needed

veggiedog:
I hardly think head down BC equalization is rare, and with a wing with only one vent, it ain't comin out the other side unless you assume a different position.

I dive wet, but I purchased a dry suit recently (which I will happily try out as soon as ScubaToys sends me my suspenders...), but I was under the impression that I would be using the BC for bouyancy and wouldn't be venting from the suit as much.

How do you plan to dump your DS when heads down?

cool_hardware52:
How do you plan to dump your DS when heads down?

I actually hadn't come to the realization that the DS would impose restrictions on my position. I had been informed that I wouldn't be inflating and deflating my dry suit much, and that I would continue to focus on the BC for bouyancy. I was expecting to get in the shallows and figure it all out on my maiden ds dive: adding air to the DS only as needed to prevent squeeze. I would be sensible enough to be alert for runaway ascents as well, feet up problems, ...

I find it frustrating to have my seemingly perfectly legitimate dive experience cast off as unusual. Am I the only one digging around on rough inclines? That OPV is conveniently placed, I suspect it serves two purposes, one that you conveniently overlooked to support your position. My original BC had the OPV near the top. Apparently Zeagle recognizes the additional use. Seems to me that you might be playing semantic games...

veggiedog:
I actually hadn't come to the realization that the DS would impose restrictions on my position. I had been informed that I wouldn't be inflating and deflating my dry suit much, and that I would continue to focus on the BC for bouyancy. I was expecting to get in the shallows and figure it all out on my maiden ds dive: adding air to the DS only as needed to prevent squeeze. I would be sensible enough to be alert for runaway ascents as well, feet up problems, ...

I find it frustrating to have my seemingly perfectly legitimate dive experience cast off as unusual. Am I the only one digging around on rough inclines? That OPV is conveniently placed, I suspect it serves two purposes, one that you conveniently overlooked to support your position. My original BC had the OPV near the top. Apparently Zeagle recognizes the additional use. Seems to me that you might be playing semantic games...

While it has been 6 years since I was last in a DS, I used the suit as my means of bouyancy at depth. Even if you only use your inflator to prevent suit squeese, how do you plan on getting that air out as you decrease pressure? Kinda the same as if you were using your BC, you might need to react with your environment... niether your suit nor your BC is an elevator, diving is very dynamic, and to say that you will be head down the whole time isn't really efficent.

I don't think Tobin is discounting your experience, but you did say that you have no experience in a dry-suit. I myself am leeching off his knowledge, it is not everyday that you can listen to the man who designed and built your BC (I think I am now done kissing ***). Both sides are making valid points, but I think I will side with the guy getting paid to make the final decision on it.

veggiedog:

I know nothing of your experience, legitimate or not. I have not discounted anything, just answering the questions posed.

One OPV is enough to keep the bag from bursting, two add unnecessary bits. Thousands of wings have been built, and used quite successfully with only one.

The fact that some manufacturer has choosen to include additional items on a particular BC, or any gear for that matter, is not irrefutable proof of the legitimacy of the added feature. I'm sure you can purchase today any number of BC's with more pull dumps, OPV's, d rings, pockets, cumberbuns, and bold new graphics, than I can count.

Regarding your DS, even if you are using minimum air in your DS, you will need to vent during the ascent. Minimum air at 4 or 5 ata will be more than you want in your suit at your 15 ft stop. You will need to be horizontal, at least to vent the suit.

Good luck with your new suit, dive safe

Tobin

fishb0y:
While it has been 6 years since I was last in a DS, I used the suit as my means of bouyancy at depth. Even if you only use your inflator to prevent suit squeese, how do you plan on getting that air out as you decrease pressure? Kinda the same as if you were using your BC, you might need to react with your environment... niether your suit nor your BC is an elevator, diving is very dynamic, and to say that you will be head down the whole time isn't really efficent.
I am aware of the dynamic nature of diving, and I do not dive butt up the entire time. However, I am often in the butt up position when I decide to vent, and I am lopsided until the next heads up cycle unless I dive a donut or I have two dumps. I often go for extended periods without a heads up cycle.
fishb0y:
I don't think Tobin is discounting your experience, but you did say that you have no experience in a dry-suit. I myself am leeching off his knowledge, it is not everyday that you can listen to the man who designed and built your BC (I think I am now done kissing ***). Both sides are making valid points, but I think I will side with the guy getting paid to make the final decision on it.
I won't be diving only with a DS. I live in texas, I expect to continue wet in the summers. I don't discount Tobins knowledge, I am suspicous of his motives, and I don't kiss ***. In fact, Tobin brought up the DS issue, my comments were with regards to my experience, which has been with a wetsuit. I usually side with myself, as I know my experiences (and needs/desires) best.

I suspect all of this was a culmination of an ignorant STAB user (myself) upgrading to a Zeagle Ranger, discovering that the bottom dumps can be quite useful in comparison to having no bottom dump, then moving to a DiveRite BP/RecWing only to miss the extra dump valve (obviously because it helped, so saying its "not needed" in my case is either arrogant or naive).

I don't always dive that way (butt up), but I do frequently enough that I get annoyed having to get upright to level off my air with my RecWing. Then I tried out an OxyCheq Signature Series 30# Donut style bladder (ScubaToys.com) and fell in love: it solved all of my problems by always working no matter what, and it is a quality piece of gear. How could I be disappointed. Maybe I'm just picky and I don't like imbalance (I would claim it is a virtue and I am bouyancy sensitive).

I even looked at Tobins doubles donut to replace my RecWing, but he neglected to provide enough information about it on his web site when I looked after he first announced it here (how is it constructed, i.e. how does it work without a zipper, ...). However, I do believe Torbin is skirting the issues brought up in this thread by denying the problem (air balance in certain positions) exists. Why build a donut for doubles? In addition, semantic arguments are pretty light weight (OPVs are not dump valves).

Please ignore my abrasive style, I am not angry.

veggiedog:
I even looked at Tobins doubles donut to replace my RecWing, but he neglected to provide enough information about it on his web site when I looked after he first announced it here (how is it constructed, i.e. how does it work without a zipper, ...). However, I do believe Torbin is skirting the issues brought up in this thread by denying the problem (air balance in certain positions) exists.

Apparently I have failed to make my point. Air Balance can be a problem, even when prone, if the wing is too wide. Narrow profile wings, (nobody makes a narrower wing than I do) work because when in normal use, i.e. horizontal at depth, filled to ~25% or less the "side pontoons" will not be tacoed above the tank, they are along side it. This means when prone there will also be air in the top arc If there is air in the top arc, and you vent from the left OPV the balance will occur through the top arc, you can't stop it.

With a "too wide horseshoe" the air in the side pontoons is well above the top arc, and some degree of heads up will be necessary to shift gas. This is not my "position" it's simple physics.

veggiedog:
Why build a donut for doubles?

Doubles are different beast. On our single wings we use the roughly triangular space between the plate and the tank, our singles wings inflate almost all the way to the center. This keeps the "bubbles" at the same leve as the top arc. Can't do that with doubles. With doubles the tanks contact the plate right down the outside edge of the plate, no space left between the tanks and the plate, i.e. all the inflation must be outside of the tanks. This alone dictates a wider wing and precludes having the top arc filled when prone.

The second reason is volume vs overall profile. Doubles wings need more lift than singles, and this means wider profiles. However if you stick some of that volume in a bottom connection, you can makes the sides slimmer, i.e. less drag. Remember that almost never is awing fully inflated except at the surface, or if you have total DS flood. This means "hidding" some of the necessary lift under the bottom of the tanks has little effect in normal use.

veggiedog:
(OPVs are not dump valves).
You sure about that?:05:

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Apparently I have failed to make my point. Air Balance can be a problem, even when prone, if the wing is too wide. Narrow profile wings, (nobody makes a narrower wing than I do) work because when in normal use, i.e. horizontal at depth, filled to ~25% or less the "side pontoons" will not be tacoed above the tank, they are along side it. This means when prone there will also be air in the top arc If there is air in the top arc, and you vent from the left OPV the balance will occur through the top arc, you can't stop it.

With a "too wide horseshoe" the air in the side pontoons is well above the top arc, and some degree of heads up will be necessary to shift gas. This is not my "position" it's simple physics.

Doubles are different beast. On our single wings we use the roughly triangular space between the plate and the tank, our singles wings inflate almost all the way to the center. This keeps the "bubbles" at the same leve as the top arc. Can't do that with doubles. With doubles the tanks contact the plate right down the outside edge of the plate, no space left between the tanks and the plate, i.e. all the inflation must be outside of the tanks. This alone dictates a wider wing and precludes having the top arc filled when prone.

The second reason is volume vs overall profile. Doubles wings need more lift than singles, and this means wider profiles. However if you stick some of that volume in a bottom connection, you can makes the sides slimmer, i.e. less drag. Remember that almost never is awing fully inflated except at the surface, or if you have total DS flood. This means "hidding" some of the necessary lift under the bottom of the tanks has little effect in normal use.

You sure about that?:05:

Regards,

Tobin
[/QUOTE]

When I dive with a RecWing, it is with doubles. Since I use the OPV as a dump valve, I reach back with my hand and I can feel the air bubble in the bladder as I cup the OPV. I have examined both sides and my air pockets are very small (maybe two or three fists on each side at the start of the dive). They are located in the bottom portion of the bladder (I am mostly horizontal), and are above the plane of the bp with no air leading to the front arch. The OPV is conveniently right on top of that bubble, and I do not need to reposition any to release some of that air. I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to do that (other than the balance issue which can be addressed with another dump).

To vent via the inflator hose, I must go slightly heads up (or, at a minimum, not heads down), I must hold the inflator above the height of the bubble, and the effort, albeit modest, is significantly more involved than releasing via the OPV in the original position. Furthermore, in the absense of a conduit connecting the sides at the bottom, if I don't restore my head down position while parallel to the surface, I can trap more air in one side than the other.

I will admit though, since the RecWing has a wider profile near the bottom, and the air pockets are above the plane of the backplate, I would be required to go more head down to pass air between the sides even if the wing was a donut, and I would still need to remain parallel to ensure equal transfer. Given the constaints, my hopes for achieving donut freedom with doubles idoesn't look promising. Not a big deal though, as the imbalance isn't a major issue, although I did find the dual dumps on the Zeagle very convenient to nudge that balance when the opportunity to vent came about while my activities were favoring a head down posture.

Apparently I have been comparing apples to oranges: I dive the OxyCheq 30# with singles and indeed the taco effect is not present and the bottom arch contains air when I am slightly head down. Given that the air flows freely from side to side (again, very small amount of air in the bladder), I never need to adjust head up/down to transfer air from one side to the other: I merely lean and the air moves. I still think this bodes well for donuts for singles where the top and bottom crossovers are similar and the air is at a level to take advantage of the path without imposing a horizontal or head higher position. Although your singles wings are indeed a very narrow profile, I am still not convinced that the donut would not provide an advantage when the air bubble does not make it across the top arch (slightly head down posture) but could make it across a bottom arch. Without testing it though, I cannot qualify the strength of that advantage, and I apologize for using my RecWing/doubles experience for that purpose (it was not my intent to compare apples to oranges).

Am I the only person opting for the simplicity of dumping via the OPV? OPV failures are never an issue above that of nuisance, and they are very simple mechanisms to maintain. I often go heads down slightly when I need to vent just because its often easier to get the bubble under the OPV than to get the bubble to the inflator. Not that the inflator method is hard (I do it often enough), just requires a specific action that is more involved than heads down pull chord. Additionally, I often check for the presence of the bubble before venting from the OPV (my hand is right there anyhow): near the end of the dive that bubble is getting very small. It sure appears bladder manufacturers are aware of this use given the migration of the OPV location to a location that is optimal for bottom venting (at least for the Zeagle Ranger, DiveRite RecWing, and OxyCheq donut that I have experience with).

veggiedog:
Am I the only person opting for the simplicity of dumping via the OPV? OPV failures are never an issue above that of nuisance, and they are very simple mechanisms to maintain. I often go heads down slightly when I need to vent just because its often easier to get the bubble under the OPV than to get the bubble to the inflator. Not that the inflator method is hard (I do it often enough), just requires a specific action that is more involved than heads down pull chord. Additionally, I often check for the presence of the bubble before venting from the OPV (my hand is right there anyhow): near the end of the dive that bubble is getting very small. It sure appears bladder manufacturers are aware of this use given the migration of the OPV location to a location that is optimal for bottom venting (at least for the Zeagle Ranger, DiveRite RecWing, and OxyCheq donut that I have experience with).

In my experience many people vent using both the hose and the rear OPV, and some vent almost exclusively via the OPV. This is very common. The debate here centers on the value of a second rear OPV, or donut style construction.

If one was to remain heads down for the entire ascent, and had only one rear OPV, you could have a side to side imbalance. However you really can't do that and vent a DS. If you assume that one must get horizontal, or even slightly heads up for the DS to work, then the merits of either a donut or second OPV become far less.

OPV's are typically simple reliable devices, but if you don't need it don't take it....

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, I've been following this thread as I'm in the market for the BP/Wing. Very interesting reading for someone looking to buy. Right now I'm wishing your wings were available here in South Africa (everyone says they are great wings). They sound superb and you definately seem to know your stuff. Unfortunately those shipping costs to this side of the world...

Back
Top Bottom