DSS or Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tna9001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, All.

IÃÎ looking for a BCD set up. IÃÍl be doing tropical diving but I like the versatility of the bp/w vs. the jacket style. So, what do you think DSS or Halcyon?

Thanks

It's hard to go wrong with either, both companies make fine BP/W systems. Tobin from DSS is very active on this board, he's happy to help explain his products and discuss your particular buoyancy needs, and his stuff is high quality, highly recommended, and usually a good amount cheaper than Halcyon. That's hard to beat.

Hello, All.

IÃÎ looking for a BCD set up. IÃÍl be doing tropical diving but I like the versatility of the bp/w vs. the jacket style. So, what do you think DSS or Halcyon?

Thanks

You cannot beat Tobin's service and response times. They're awesome. You won't regret buying DSS. I would PM him to discuss your exact requirements before making a decision.

I would also recommend DSS. Tobin is helpful with decisions and the equipment is first rate. I have used/use DSS plates and wings.

I use and recommend DSS rigs to my students. You really can't beat the price/value with Tobin's products. Not only that but if you need to he'll spend as much time as you need on the phone to make sure you get the right setup for you.

I've been using a Halcyon System for several hundred dives now and am very happy with it, but just replaced it today with a DSS system that I like even better :) I have also had a small BP/Wing I use for teaching children in from DSS for awhile now and am very happy with it.

You can't go wrong with either one, but IMHO DSS is the better value for the money, and has some nice "features" that other rigs don't have.

1) Tank blocks (don't know what they are called exactly) that keep the tank straps from slipping during a dive.
2) Harness does not block the hole for the bolt thru the plate if using doubles.
3) Wing is VERY narrow
4) Corrugated hose does not stretch out like my Halcyon did :(
5) inserts in the plate to prevent harness chaffing and negates the need for webbing keepers, making it easier to adjust if need be.

btw - Tobin is the owner of DSS and frequents the board here - drop him a PM as he is very helpful.

Aloha, Tim

Can not go wrong with ether. I only have limited experience with DSS but have lots of Halcyon gear. I like Halcyon

I would also recommend DSS. Tobin is helpful with decisions and the equipment is first rate. I have used/use DSS plates and wings.
Another very happy DSS user/owner chiming in here; who heartily recommends Tobin's BP/W. Awesome gear!
icon14.gif

Back
Top Bottom