DSMB set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I quite like the DSMB on a line with a shot weight set up for repeated DSMB use. I think its the easiest, least bulky way of doing it and I would like to build my own.

I have a pretty standard Buddy DSMB and I was thinking of using a fishing weight on a 15m line with another fishing weight on the bottom of the DSMB so it will stand pround when it reaches the surface, rather than just sag over. This should give me a 45 degree angle to the surface with a 10m send up.

Could anybody, from experience, advise on what line and weights to use. I havn't really found any online dive shops that sell loose line like you get on a spool. I also don't want to over weight my DSMB, clearly, but want it to have enough weight on it to work effectively.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Personaly I wouldn't use any weights. The amount you'd have to add to make it stand up would be surprisingly high.

Just deploy with a spool, clip off the line, and hold it in your hand. Just letting your arm weight hang on the spool is usually enough to stand up the SMB. As you ascend, wind up the spool.

All the best, James

Yeah, I just crunched the maths...

To keep upright with 1m of a 1.4m DSMB out of the water would require a weight on the DSMB of 3.8kg and weight on the line of 2kg under my model. Thats just not feasible.

The plan is however to use the DSMB line as a reference point for ascent and safety stop so it would be nice for it to just hang so people can hold onto it. A spool is a very one person afair if you wind it up as you ascend. That is why I want this system really. Maybe its best to just take the Balance around the surface out of my model. That or go a bit mad and add sailing boat style counter weight to the DSMB... which would be ridiculous. Maybe a little weight on the line should do fine, say 300g.

Where can I get spool style line from without the spool? I don't really want to destroy my spool. A fishing store maybe?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Yeah, I just crunched the maths...

To keep upright with 1m of a 1.4m DSMB out of the water would require a weight on the DSMB of 3.8kg and weight on the line of 2kg under my model. Thats just not feasible.

Not all SMB's are created equal. Some require far less weight to stay upright.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85

A spool is a very one person afair if you wind it up as you ascend.

?? One team member manages the finger spool and the others use him / her as a depth reference.

Tobin

I use the Deep Sea Supply Stainless Steel Finger Spool. This is nice for shooting a SMB, since the extra little bit of mass makes the line hang nicely. Several times (with mixed teams) I've shot the SMB, and just let the spool dangle at 50' or so. Everyone did their deco off the line, and I then just pulled up the spool from the surface. This would fulfill your need for a reference for many - since that's the way we've used it once in a great while.

Also, I can heartily reccomend Tobin's SMB - it costs a little bit more, but is sooo worth it.

All the best, James

Agreed, Tobin's SMB would be ideal in this use.
If you want to just send up an SMB to have a line of reference, use a small SMB on a finger spool. You'll just have to be the under everyone else as you ascend as a team.

Alternatively you could just add enough air into your current SMB to send it up. What's nice about this is you'll usually have a bit of SMB below the water line so you can clip off your spool before your wetsuit expands and pops you top side from 3ft :wink:

Edit:
James, does your line ever overwhelm you when you're pulling up your spool?

I haven't had my line turn into a diver-tangling monster. I have a trick:

I use an extra double-ender. (Actually a small double ender is not quite heavy enough, hence my spare is a big one) First, grab the line about 3' from the SMB. Then, clip the double ender to the line between the SMB and your hand.

Now you pull up the spool, never letting go of the line. The double ender pulls the excess slack down into the briny deep. After you get the spool in hand, wind the line back on as normal; then, stow the SMB and the spare double ender.

All the best, James

I knew there were more uses for an extra double ender =D
I just bought and extra to use as a tank banger, guess I'm not so weird after all.

I'll keep that method in mind the next time I leave my spool below. Thanks!

If you really want the SMB to stick up straight then deploy it, clip it off and then let a little air out of your wing and use the SMB to hold you level. Works really well and then others just reference from you as previously said.
And personally I would use nothing less than 1.5meter in the sea.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was always taught to never clip the DSMB to myself and have heard stories of idiots on jetskis, being clueless of what a DSMB is, picking them up and jeting off with them. I have pulled down on a DSMB before to keep it upright but its not something I'd want to do for long. James, your setup sounds like what I am looking for really. I think I will stick with my own DSMB (saves money and its taller) and may well get that spool of yours. The double ender trick is very nice.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom