DSMB set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really want the SMB to stick up straight then deploy it, clip it off and then let a little air out of your wing and use the SMB to hold you level. Works really well and then others just reference from you as previously said.
And personally I would use nothing less than 1.5meter in the sea.

Is taller better for visibility? Oh course. What counts however is how much of the tube is actually out of the water.

Large volume SBM's can be a challenge to "shoot", particularly when relatively shallow. If they reach the surface 1/2 full you've lost at least 1/2 of their potential height.

To get any SMB to "Stand Proud" you have to pull some of it back under water.

Take a large volume, non tapered SMB, shoot it from the shallows and pull enough back under water and you can very likely end up with very little of the Tube above water.

Those are the problems we addressed with the DSS SMB, low volume, tapered to but most of the mass and buoyancy at the bottom. Easy to fill, and requires only a bit of weight on the line to get it to stand up.

Tobin

Tobin

If you really want the SMB to stick up straight then deploy it, clip it off and then let a little air out of your wing and use the SMB to hold you level. Works really well and then others just reference from you as previously said.
And personally I would use nothing less than 1.5meter in the sea.

Is taller better for visibility? Oh course. What counts however is how much of the tube is actually out of the water.

Large volume SBM's can be a challenge to "shoot", particularly when relatively shallow. If they reach the surface 1/2 full you've lost at least 1/2 of their potential height.

To get any SMB to "Stand Proud" you have to pull some of it back under water.

Take a large volume, non tapered SMB, shoot it from the shallows and pull enough back under water and you can very likely end up with very little of the Tube above water.

Those are the problems we addressed with the DSS SMB, low volume, tapered to but most of the mass and buoyancy at the bottom. Easy to fill, and requires only a bit of weight on the line to get it to stand up.

Tobin

I think the original poster missunderstands me. Do not clip it to yourself.
Put the clip on the line then into one of the holes on thee real(clip it off.) the real will just hang in the water infront of you.
I can fully inflate my SMB from 6 meters with one good breath. Never use the octo, to aggresive for me. If I do not feel like breathing out then I also have a Co cylinder on the SMB.
Check out this link. By breathing out into the SMB, you offset the inflation pulling you up because you go down a little as you exhale.

YouTube - ‪SMB Deployment‬‏

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom