DSMB Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MacLir

MacLir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I am hoping for some clarification from experienced folks regarding required use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards. We are planning a family trip next year for either the North/Wrecks or St Johns routes. Due to experience levels in the group (1 entry level Tech, 2 PADI AOW, 2 PADI OW), we are not considering the BDE route as we consider it beyond our collective skill level.

This will be our first trip to the Red Sea. We have not picked a boat yet. Prior liveaboard/land based diving has been New England US, Carrib., Hawaii and similar. All have boat diving experience well in excess of 30 dives.

I have seen conflicting posts on SB and elsewhere as to whether deployment of a DSMB at depth is required for the above itineraries. I have some experience with DSMB deployment, but only in limited training contexts; the rest of my group has no experience. All of us are, of course, familiar and comfortable with inflating and using SMBs at the surface.

Can anyone advise on what the standard practice/expectation is regarding use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards?

Thanks!

Hi all. I am hoping for some clarification from experienced folks regarding required use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards. We are planning a family trip next year for either the North/Wrecks or St Johns routes. Due to experience levels in the group (1 entry level Tech, 2 PADI AOW, 2 PADI OW), we are not considering the BDE route as we consider it beyond our collective skill level.

This will be our first trip to the Red Sea. We have not picked a boat yet. Prior liveaboard/land based diving has been New England US, Carrib., Hawaii and similar. All have boat diving experience well in excess of 30 dives.

I have seen conflicting posts on SB and elsewhere as to whether deployment of a DSMB at depth is required for the above itineraries. I have some experience with DSMB deployment, but only in limited training contexts; the rest of my group has no experience. All of us are, of course, familiar and comfortable with inflating and using SMBs at the surface.

Can anyone advise on what the standard practice/expectation is regarding use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards?

Thanks!
Usual practice and usual requirements : any diver is supposed to have a buoy (and ability tu use it, of course).
It may be asked to deploy it for the check dive, it may be asked to deploy it for some dives like at Brothers for example, where current may be sometimes strong and this will help the zodiac to see where you are going to surface. It will also help to avoid an accident with a zodiac from another boat.

It is better to deploy it if you are taken away by the current ... if you want to be found. :sharkattack:

Of course only one buoy is enough if the buddies or group is still together.

That's my own experience after 25 years on liveaboard in the red seea.

If you are surfacing where you are supposed to, in the area agreed in the dive plan, if you’re not drifting in the blue with current, if sea is calm … it’s not normal to deploy your SMB in the Red Sea. Sure some might, but it’s not expected. After 20+ years diving in the Egyptian and Sudanese Red Sea I have deployed my DSMB perhaps on 10 occations. In other locations like e.g. Moçambique, Maldives … on most dives.
It is a very good idea to carry one and to practice to use it, so you’ll know how to for that one time when it will make a difference or for other locations where it is the norm.
Ladders on zodiacs are not the norm. A pretty rare sight. You hand your weights and BCD to the crew (don’t forget to help with a push when they lift the bcd/tank out of the water). Then fin up and fold over the side. Not gracious, but it works and actually doesn’t take a lot of physical effort if done with the right technique and timing.

Thanks!
Southern itinerary last week. SMB deployment was listed on the checkout dive briefing, but they said if comfortable you don't need to do it, and it was not enforced.
Didn't have to actually deploy during the trip, but you should know how to do so prior to needing to

This (Training DSMB) is what instructors shold be using when teaching DSMB, saves all the up/down assents.
I've always used 3 foot/skinny DSMBs in confined water. Easy to deploy/fill in a pool in the deep end. Easy to yank down. Larger ones in open water of course. I now have them marked with depth markings. I have my students inflate with a single breath to maintain constant depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom