DSMB Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MacLir

MacLir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I am hoping for some clarification from experienced folks regarding required use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards. We are planning a family trip next year for either the North/Wrecks or St Johns routes. Due to experience levels in the group (1 entry level Tech, 2 PADI AOW, 2 PADI OW), we are not considering the BDE route as we consider it beyond our collective skill level.

This will be our first trip to the Red Sea. We have not picked a boat yet. Prior liveaboard/land based diving has been New England US, Carrib., Hawaii and similar. All have boat diving experience well in excess of 30 dives.

I have seen conflicting posts on SB and elsewhere as to whether deployment of a DSMB at depth is required for the above itineraries. I have some experience with DSMB deployment, but only in limited training contexts; the rest of my group has no experience. All of us are, of course, familiar and comfortable with inflating and using SMBs at the surface.

Can anyone advise on what the standard practice/expectation is regarding use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards?

Thanks!

I watched DSMB deployment this weekend during PADI OW check out dives. Each student took turns hooking up, inflating, and letting the reel spin. More than required but a good skill to learn.
Must just be my areas PADI bunch that dont teach it.... who knows now diving with BSAC again as I don't trust the PADI places here

Must just be my areas PADI bunch that dont teach it.... who knows now diving with BSAC again as I don't trust the PADI places here
It has been a requirement for years to either inflate an SMB at the surface or inflate a DSMB under the surface.

I was amazed that when I did my PADI OW & AOW not once was DSMB deployment required. I had to learn to use it on my own and now its just permanently attached to the BPW. To clarify I did my OW & AOW with separate places. I have not seen one PADI operation in my area practice this equipment in their certification. Maybe it s a PADI thing?
I did my OW and AOW with the same PADI shop. I was required to shoot a DSMB on both courses. Cold water diving, Vancouver Island, Canada.

Going back to the original question, I did the St John's route 3 years ago. At the end of the checkout dive divers could (if they wished) deploy their DSMB for practice. During the actual dives nobody did other than the guide on a couple of dives. We had zero currents and very good visibility throughout the trip and most dives were terminated back to the boat.
Now of course, if possible, all divers should be comfortable deploying one just in case. It just takes few times whatching a youtube video, a few times trying it in the water and a refresher now and then.

Would say SMB is not the norm in the Red Sea, as in a mandatory demand. But some operators do require you to carry one on certain itineraries (BDE) that have more zodiac-intense diving. If you don't have one they will then rent or lend you one. But, that is rare. However, inme, it is a good idea to carry one and to practice to deploy it once in a while. It is not difficult. And under certain conditions in certain locations – they make you a lot easier for the zodiac crew to spot. Perhaps not applicable to a regular Northern Wrecks and Reef itinerary, but as you get out to off shore islands and reefs where currents, wind and seas can be more intense, they can literally be the difference between life or death.

Especially for beginners to see how to fix, un-fix and handle that thing.
True. I dive with my DSMB attached to the spool; one less thing to do prior to launching.

OP - as mentioned a few times here, I would recommend watching a few YouTube videos on how to rig up and deploy the SMB at depth. You also have some time before your trip to have you and your family try it out locally. Unfortunately, my PADI certification did not include DSMB skills and I wished it had...so I taught myself. On each trip now, I deploy it to keep in practice.

Have a great trip and keep us posted on your boat decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom