DSMB Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MacLir

MacLir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I am hoping for some clarification from experienced folks regarding required use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards. We are planning a family trip next year for either the North/Wrecks or St Johns routes. Due to experience levels in the group (1 entry level Tech, 2 PADI AOW, 2 PADI OW), we are not considering the BDE route as we consider it beyond our collective skill level.

This will be our first trip to the Red Sea. We have not picked a boat yet. Prior liveaboard/land based diving has been New England US, Carrib., Hawaii and similar. All have boat diving experience well in excess of 30 dives.

I have seen conflicting posts on SB and elsewhere as to whether deployment of a DSMB at depth is required for the above itineraries. I have some experience with DSMB deployment, but only in limited training contexts; the rest of my group has no experience. All of us are, of course, familiar and comfortable with inflating and using SMBs at the surface.

Can anyone advise on what the standard practice/expectation is regarding use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards?

Thanks!

Hence: Local advice!

Where I do live we have no surface traffic and no currents. We only have quarries, lakes, ponds and small rivers.
DSMB is quite irrelevant here. Not quite so in the Red Sea though, as we can see!
Our problem here is the extremely cold water, two to four degrees above freezing.
Hence, woollen socks are more important than a DSMB!
And thank you for informing me!!!

Local advice, again!
Here we have a similar situation. However, vis can get dicey and some people get squirrely if they have to ascend in green or brown water without being able to see the bottom or other features. Shooting a DSMB from depth gives a visual and tactile reference that may prevent vertigo, rapid ascents, and in extreme cases, panic. This is why a DSMB from depth is most definitely a basic open water skill.
I know that I had to argue that point with the SEI agency head when I began to introduce it in my open water classes for SEI. He said it was a tech skill. Then I pointed out the benefits to basic open water divers and the fact that I was having 8 and 9 yr old snorkeling students shoot a small one in the deep end of the pool. Tech skill? My ass. Not that hard if shown how to do it correctly with a reasonable size DSMB. I start everyone off with a 36-inch/1-meter one. 1/4 breath at 30 ft is enough to have it stand up on the surface.

Red Sea Aggressor (BDE route) didn’t mention anything about SMBs. My wife and I carried ours, as we do elsewhere in the world, but that is just in case we’re separated from the group. The normal procedure was for the divemaster to deploy an SMB when the dive plan called for pickup by the RIBs. I don’t recall seeing an individual diver deploy an SMB from depth. That was my one and only Red Sea liveaboard, so I have no idea what the procedure is apart from that.

hen I pointed out the benefits to basic open water divers and the fact that I was hav
Here we have a similar situation. However, vis can get dicey and some people get squirrely if they have to ascend in green or brown water without being able to see the bottom or other features. Shooting a DSMB from depth gives a visual and tactile reference that may prevent vertigo, rapid ascents, and in extreme cases, panic. This is why a DSMB from depth is most definitely a basic open water skill.
I know that I had to argue that point with the SEI agency head when I began to introduce it in my open water classes for SEI. He said it was a tech skill. Then I pointed out the benefits to basic open water divers and the fact that I was having 8 and 9 yr old snorkeling students shoot a small one in the deep end of the pool. Tech skill? My ass. Not that hard if shown how to do it correctly with a reasonable size DSMB. I start everyone off with a 36-inch/1-meter one. 1/4 breath at 30 ft is enough to have it stand up on the surface.
Thank you! You and some other posters have taught me new things! This forum is amazing for life long learning :)

I call SMB inflation at the surface "Hurry and blow that d@mn thing up before that boat/jetski runs us over!"

You could practice in the quarry as I do. This was helpful when I got separated from the group on a drift dive off Florida. I deployed at 40 ft and did my safety stop at 15 ft. It was a bit choppy on the surface and I was using the spool as a crutch when the line detached from the dSMB. I wound up the spool and was wondering what the next step would be as my marker was gone. I was thinking about using my mirror and whistle but as I surfaced, the SMB was right there, drifting with me. Note to self, predive check includes SMB line.

Hi all. I am hoping for some clarification from experienced folks regarding required use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards. We are planning a family trip next year for either the North/Wrecks or St Johns routes. Due to experience levels in the group (1 entry level Tech, 2 PADI AOW, 2 PADI OW), we are not considering the BDE route as we consider it beyond our collective skill level.

This will be our first trip to the Red Sea. We have not picked a boat yet. Prior liveaboard/land based diving has been New England US, Carrib., Hawaii and similar. All have boat diving experience well in excess of 30 dives.

I have seen conflicting posts on SB and elsewhere as to whether deployment of a DSMB at depth is required for the above itineraries. I have some experience with DSMB deployment, but only in limited training contexts; the rest of my group has no experience. All of us are, of course, familiar and comfortable with inflating and using SMBs at the surface.

Can anyone advise on what the standard practice/expectation is regarding use of DSMBs on Red Sea liveaboards?

Thanks!
Going in two weeks and, while we have them and I use them quite often in Cozumel, even if just to practice, we've not been told that deploying them is required.

Yes, I would. Why wouldn't you? DSMB use and deployment is required in OW and AOW training with NAUI (and other agencies I believe).

No, it isn't. What if one is separated from the group or there is current and they are drifting away? I would NOT go anywhere without an appropriately sized DSMB and be qualified to use it. I have been on dive trips where by the time we ended the dive and came up towards the surface for precautionary stop and then on the surface, there was strong current and the dive boat was far away picking up other divers and had to have the DSMB for the stop and while floating on the surface hoping for the dive boat to see it to pick us up.
I was amazed that when I did my PADI OW & AOW not once was DSMB deployment required. I had to learn to use it on my own and now its just permanently attached to the BPW. To clarify I did my OW & AOW with separate places. I have not seen one PADI operation in my area practice this equipment in their certification. Maybe it s a PADI thing?

I was amazed that when I did my PADI OW & AOW not once was DSMB deployment required. I had to learn to use it on my own and now its just permanently attached to the BPW. To clarify I did my OW & AOW with separate places. I have not seen one PADI operation in my area practice this equipment in their certification. Maybe it s a PADI thing?

I watched DSMB deployment this weekend during PADI OW check out dives. Each student took turns hooking up, inflating, and letting the reel spin. More than required but a good skill to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom