DSMB colour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He actually ended up being able to pull it back down, deflate it, and reinflate it, so he did it several times in a row.

It sounds like it could have used a little more air to stand out.

If I am with a group that has a DM who will be sending up a DSMB, I am certainly not going to send one up, too. What would be the point?

I have one with me, though, for any occasion in which I may be ascending separately. I would prefer to send it up before I reached the surface so that boats have fair warning, so I will have a spool as well. I still find it hard to believe that carrying at least a SMB that can be inflated on the surface is not required gear for Cozumel. Inflating such a device in now a required skill for PADI OW classes, so I would think any diver should be able to do it, not just the ones certified under the new standards.

The fun never stops....

Where else but Scubaboard could a simple "what color" question result in 40 responses and over 1000 views?

And not finished yet I expect.

Personally, I think the barber pole idea has merit :D

The fun never stops....

Where else but Scubaboard could a simple "what color" question result in 40 responses and over 1000 views?

And not finished yet I expect.

We need to wander the thread to the AL80 vs HP120 debate or who will handle wetsuits to have a truly epic Cozumel thread. Honestly though if you can find a basic low volume 4' barber pole, I would like one. In the manner I use them with where and whom I dive with I would like my captain to easily pick me out in a morning crowd on Palancar during high season. It would lower the task loading for Chan Fran.

Aldora won't handle wetsuits for a simple reason, 90 min dives result in 99% of wetsuits getting extra warm toward the end of a dive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mine can be a little limp. I need to fill it deeper I think.....

I still find it hard to believe that carrying at least a SMB that can be inflated on the surface is not required gear for Cozumel. .

Ah, Mexico, remember? Lets not ruin the place with a bunch of 'safety' rules. Tell 'em and after than let them get run over....

Honestly though if you can find a basic low volume 4' barber pole, I would like one.

DANG IT. I REALLY wanted one and now everyone is going to have them....

We need to wander the thread to the AL80 vs HP120 debate or who will handle wetsuits to have a truly epic Cozumel thread. Honestly though if you can find a basic low volume 4' barber pole, I would like one. In the manner I use them with where and whom I dive with I would like my captain to easily pick me out in a morning crowd on Palancar during high season. It would lower the task loading for Chan Fran.

Maybe you just need to glue some rhinestones to it.
Rhinestones are the solution to just about everything.

If you wear it clipped to your BC, you might also be able to get close up photos of a barracuda.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 08:31 PM ----------

Maybe a little, but when I surfaced next to it, it was standing up.

Inflating such a device in now a required skill for PADI OW classes, so I would think any diver should be able to do it, not just the ones certified under the new standards.
I really wish this had been taught in my class last year. Just to have gotten practice with it. I had planned on learning last weekend when Kevin taught himself, but the dive didn't go well, so I didn't try it. Maybe at my refresher next month I'll ask about it.

LOVE the rhinestone idea, but then I am kind of like a magpie when it comes to things that glitter. And yes, sending from deeper means you have a better shot at a nice upright safety sausage. If I am sending mine up, I do it from 50 feet.

Maybe you just need to glue some rhinestones to it.
Rhinestones are the solution to just about everything.

If you wear it clipped to your BC, you might also be able to get close up photos of a barracuda.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 08:31 PM ----------

Maybe a little, but when I surfaced next to it, it was standing up.

I really wish this had been taught in my class last year. Just to have gotten practice with it. I had planned on learning last weekend when Kevin taught himself, but the dive didn't go well, so I didn't try it. Maybe at my refresher next month I'll ask about it.

LOVE the rhinestone idea, but then I am kind of like a magpie when it comes to things that glitter. And yes, sending from deeper means you have a better shot at a nice upright safety sausage. If I am sending mine up, I do it from 50 feet.

It would not be the first SMB I've ever seen that was bedazzled, but then, I live in Key West, where we bedazzle damn near everything.

When I teach solo, we start with bags at 60 feet, usually the first deco stop. They don't pass the course, however, until they can shoot a fully inflated bag from 20 feet. It involves buoyancy shifting, etc. It's actually a very complex skill, and I fail one out of 10 times, and I teach it.

I bedazzled my hood so they can distinguished me from others in the water. I completely forget that barracudas are attracted to shiny things. Also, I have a hot pink safety sausage so that the captain will find me if I get separated, which happen and I almost got on the wrong boat.

I completely forget that barracudas are attracted to shiny things.

I had an instructor tell us his hand sign for barracuda was to touch his ears- because as soon as anyone saw one, they'd check to make sure they had taken out their earrings.

Back
Top Bottom