DSMB colour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't one advantage of the orally inflated ones that when you transfer air to it from your lungs in a single breath you won't have changed your buoyancy?

BTW, if you've ever seen the Youtube videos of how not to deploy a SMB, you've seen how it was for me the first time I tried it. My wife nearly drowned laughing at the spectacle I made of myself. One tip: when you get a finger spool, the first thing you should do is unreel all the line from it and tie the end of the line to the spool.

Ah… but therein lies the problem. Most people (myself included) want the tube to be fully inflated and standout on the surface (something about a full tube is a happy / visible tube). To do this they take a deep breath, which is the critical point. Then they calmly remove the reg and blow into the tube, during this period the deep breath has transformed them into the patriot missile system with reverse gravity because as they rise the gas expands and becomes an aiding feedback loop, within several seconds they are trying for the moon. During this period time is not your friend. The trick is to transfer that added gas as quickly as possible to the tube and uncouple it from your buoyancy. Personnelly I then continue to exhale and stabilize while doing the right arm sweep to recover my primary reg, if I miss it I can always lean over and sip some air from my Octo Inflator and try again, I am happy if I drop 5’ in this process. The key is to be relaxed. After petting a Lion Fish last weekend I was glad it was second nature to deploy one, even with a wounded paw.:D

Ah… but therein lies the problem. Most people (myself included) want the tube to be fully inflated and standout on the surface (something about a full tube is a happy / visible tube).

Of course, if you half inflate it at 33' it will be fully inflated when it reaches the surface, will it not? At any rate, after I have deployed my SMB I reel myself up to 15' and hang from it like a subway rider, which keeps it proudly standing erect at the surface even if it isn't fully, um, tumescent.

Gopbroek, your post re enforces why I don't orally inflate dsmb's. I use a blowgun on an lp hose to inflate open bottom dsmb's. It's quick, easy, and I never take a reg out of my mouth...nor free flow one deliberately as I see some folks do. If the blowgun malfunctions and won't quit blowing air(hasn't happened yet) I can disconnect it.

I like open bottom DSMB's for the ability to launch a diver to the surface while staying at 'semi-depth' and being able to then retrieve / spill them and go back to diving. The down side I see with them is on the surface as a signal devise, they deflate. A valve model will stay inflated and if you need to gain the attention of a situational awareness challenged boat captain it is more visible. I would like more info on the LP blowgun attachment. What the hell I have enough **** hanging off me now the other divers are making references to Xmas.

If you are still on the 3P boat in December ether the DM or myself could help you practice the process if you haven’t mastered it already.

I will be :)
Steve told us the DM would inflate his, so Kevin only learned just in case. I don't think I'll be trying for awhile it is best if my reg stays in my mouth.

The open bottom dsmb that I refer to has a one way opening...it doesn't deflate unless I deflate it. The blowgun is ceteca I believe...it just looks like a rubber nozzle, and you bend it to make it blow air.

Scittl1321, You are correct but if you decide that you want to learn it's an open ended offer

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 08:48 PM ----------

The open bottom dsmb that I refer to has a one way opening...it doesn't deflate unless I deflate it. The blowgun is ceteca I believe...it just looks like a rubber nozzle, and you bend it to make it blow air.

PM me with a link to the DSBM if you can find one, I am do not believe I have seen that type, it sounds interesting.

Scittl1321, You are correct but if you decide that you want to learn it's an open ended offer

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 08:48 PM ----------

PM me with a link to the DSBM if you can find one, I am do not believe I have seen that type, it sounds interesting.

http://www.apdiving.com/en/bcds/accessories/

First item. There is also an option for the crack bottle or a valve which can be inflated via a direct feed hose. The bottle is quite expensive and care should be taken to close the valve before letting it go or you risk water getting into the cylinder.

Jeez, I hope the wife doesn't find this buddy leash:

bcd-scuba-accessories-buddy-line-apdiving.jpg

Back
Top Bottom