DSMB colour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KenGordon

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the DSMB colour conventions in Cozumel?

In the uk the normal boring marker to do stops or a drift under is orange or red. The something exciting and probably not altogether good is happening one is yellow. Then there can be yellow and red ones for people who should have known better in the shop.

I am coming to Cozumel soon and would be grateful for advice on the local custom.

North America has no such standards. On my charters, I have adopted the UK standard as you described. I'm never sure what to do when a 2 color DSMB comes to the surface. Bring your orange one.

No, bring your yellow one.

Life jackets are orange. Why confuse them?

FWIW, And there is Pink...and I don't know what to make of Pink Floral :rolleyes:

41QxUSkakeL.jpg 61n45AutabL._SL1500_.jpg

IMHO, the point of the DSMB is so the crew knows where you are at and to keep looking for you until they see you & pick you up.
VISIBLE is the most important thing, and SIZE DOES MATTER.

attachment.php

Surprisingly, in Coz few divers carry or use SMBs according to chats with the local DMs...(probably mostly "tourist" divers). They are always surprised to see everyone on the SB Invasions with their own SMBs and deploying them at safety stops. That's how they know they have "real" divers aboard.
Good thing all the Invaders have a SB education.

As long as you brief the mates and the captain on which color means what, it shouldn't matter. I personally use yellow for everything is ok, and red for "need assistance".

The SMB I carry is neon green/yellow.
6ft High Vis YELLOW SMB
SMB has a clip on it that a flasher or Cyalume stick can be attached for night dives. I keep it with a reel in a mesh bag that attaches to my tank strap.
Zeagle E-Z Mount QD Pouch for Signal Tube with Grommets at LeisurePro
Mine is rarely used except shore dives. I (almost) always surface with the group and the DM shoots the SMB. I have been trained how to use it though. Been a while since I shot it depth. I think I'll practice once or twice next week while I'm down...

There was a thread about this so long ago (I'm sure there are many though)... long story short... orange was deemed the most visible in the majority of conditions. Yellow was most visible at night. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks Joe, had a series of SMB and reel incidents in the St Lawrence last week. My wife's reel came undone and my sons SMB became undone all of course during the dive. My reel came undone right upon entry, I could feel something pulling looked back and saw the line disappear into the murky depths of the river. Never had these issues with the 20 dives in Coz.... Put the whole thing in a pouch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Joe, had a series of SMB and reel incidents in the St Lawrence last week. My wife's reel came undone and my sons SMB became undone all of course during the dive. My reel came undone right upon entry, I could feel something pulling looked back and saw the line disappear into the murky depths of the river. Never had these issues with the 20 dives in Coz.... Put the whole thing in a pouch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have bellows pockets on my drysuit and all my wetsuits for this reason. I don't like taking chances of something coming loose or not being where I put them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom