DSLR vs. PnS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're wrong. I use a DSLR for everything from super macro to ultra wide and there is no reason it can't be done.

Discussion over.

Thanks for playing! :popcorn:

Whoa horsey! Hold on there…I am sure your DSLR housing sponsor would really want this debate to just go away…but let’s have the consumer (The largest being American) decide the faith of the overpriced and very limited DSLR housing market.

I suspect that it is already getting pretty tough selling U/W images with thousands of low cost, easy to use point and shoot cameras hitting the water and getting hi res., raw images that are as good as a DSLR….IMHO.

Housing makers come and go and with the big DSLR makers like Nikon and Canon upgrading their models… like there is no tomorrow, how can they possibly keep up. Let alone the consumer finding out that their $6000 or so investment had just gone obsolete!

I believe Ikelite (due to their diversification and prices) will again come out ahead of the game in this very competitive market.

After all unlike yourself we cannot all afford a Mclaren to get us from point A to point B...:D

Housing makers come and go and with the big DSLR makers like Nikon and Canon upgrading their models… like there is no tomorrow, how can they possibly keep up. Let alone the consumer finding out that their $6000 or so investment had just gone obsolete!

I believe Ikelite (due to their diversification and prices) will again come out ahead of the game in this very competitive market.
What are you talking about now?????? Housings?

I thought you were talking about composition. :rofl3:

Man.....you can't stay on track at all can you?

You still didn't answer my earlier question. Are either of the shots which you claim as your own your idea of well composed?

As for $6000 to have an effective U/W DSLR setup....that's ridiculous. You can have a perfectly acceptable setup for around a third of that.......something like a Ikelite housed Canon EOS 400D + Sigma 17-70mm Macro. That's not counting the strobes of course....as they can be transferred so won't become obsolete! :coffee:

Anyway.....back to composition......as it seems to be the most important thing to you, and for the benefit of our newer folk getting into U/W photography, are your pictures I posted for example something they should be trying to emulate, or what?

What are you talking about now?????? Housings?

I thought you were talking about composition. :rofl3:

Man.....you can't stay on track at all can you?

You still didn't answer my earlier question. Are either of the shots which you claim as your own your idea of well composed?

As for $6000 to have an effective U/W DSLR setup....that's ridiculous. You can have a perfectly acceptable setup for around a third of that.......something like a Ikelite housed Canon EOS 400D + Sigma 17-70mm Macro. That's not counting the strobes of course....as they can be transferred so won't become obsolete! :coffee:

Anyway.....back to composition......as it seems to be the most important thing to you, and for the benefit of our newer folk getting into U/W photography, are your pictures I posted for example something they should be trying to emulate, or what?

Nope… I think I’ll stick to questioning the overpriced DSLR housing vs the low cost but effective Point and Shoot topic.

This thread is named DSLR vs. PS… plus the fact that I am not qualified to speak about photography anyway. Now, I sure hope you won’t be suppressing my opinions will you?

But feel free to mouth off the latest and greatest DSLRs even though you yourself have not taken any camera U/W...they must be paying you a pretty penny for all this! :no

But feel free to mouth off the latest and greatest DSLRs even though you yourself have not taken any camera U/W...they must be paying you a pretty penny for all this! :no
Excuse me???? :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I haven't housed my new Canon yet, but you can find plenty of shots from my Oly C5050 set-up here:
Message - The Dive Matrix Galleries

Older stuff from Okinawa taken with my older Sea&Sea MotorMarine ExII isn't currently hosted online.

Of course....I'm just an amateur who enjoys it. I try to keep my advice to others within the confines of my actual experience, and I have plenty of stuff in those galleries to demonstrate what I've done! :D

How about you?

Like this?
Sorry, Personal Albums are not enabled. :lotsalove:

Wait a minute... you're one of those who thinks a housed DSLR will improve your snapshooting! And is trying to cut a deal for an overpriced housing, hey get Mr. Mclaren millionare to throw you a bone! :rofl3:

Whoa horsey! Hold on there…I am sure your DSLR housing sponsor would really want this debate to just go away…but let’s have the consumer (The largest being American) decide the faith of the overpriced and very limited DSLR housing market.

I suspect that it is already getting pretty tough selling U/W images with thousands of low cost, easy to use point and shoot cameras hitting the water and getting hi res., raw images that are as good as a DSLR….IMHO.

After all unlike yourself we cannot all afford a Mclaren to get us from point A to point B...:D

Don't cloud the issue.

You wrote and have written several times that SLRs have limited use underwater.
You're wrong. What's more, you're now getting to be so pedantic you're looking a troll.

Nope… I think I’ll stick to questioning the overpriced DSLR housing vs the low cost but effective Point and Shoot topic.

Which P&S can I use to take 3:1 or greater magnification images?

Which P&S can I use to take 3:1 or greater magnification images?

Hmmm…lets see here to get 3:1 I need to spend about $6000 on an overpriced DSLR setup to take shots of sea slug’s nose hair.

Or for about a few hundred $ a PS so I can take a full body shot of the same sea slug to show my friends or maybe even get published.

Or

Should I keep my Toyota or mortgage the house to buy a McLaren so I can get to work at 180 mph! But wait a minute the speed limit in California max out at 70 mph!

Decisions, Decisions :rofl3:

Decisions, Decisions :rofl3:
Yeah......obviously too much for you......

But then you don't actually take pictures U/W do you? So it's all pretty immaterial really.......:wink:

Maybe one of those disposables good for a few meters would be enough for your bath?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom