DSLR vs. PnS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, Personal Albums are not enabled. :lotsalove:
OK....it seems you need to be a registered member to follow that link.

However, if you use the link to the Photo Galleries at the top, then navigate to the Members Galleries and find mine (Kim), it will bring up a page where you can navigate to photos I've posted on the left. (I just checked this as a Guest)

Hmmm…lets see here to get 3:1 I need to spend about $6000 on an overpriced DSLR setup to take shots of sea slug’s nose hair.

Or for about a few hundred $ a PS so I can take a full body shot of the same sea slug to show my friends or maybe even get published.

Or

Should I keep my Toyota or mortgage the house to buy a McLaren so I can get to work at 180 mph! But wait a minute the speed limit in California max out at 70 mph!

Decisions, Decisions :rofl3:

You didn't answer the question.

Which P&S can I use to take 3:1 or greater magnification images?

My word are we getting a bit snippy here?

Pip Pip Tally Ho! :rofl3:

I can't make a fair assement of images if I can't try both systems, can I?

So, which P&S can I use to take 3:1 or greater magnification images?

Hmmm…lets see here to get 3:1 I need to spend about $6000 on an overpriced DSLR setup to take shots of sea slug’s nose hair.

Or for about a few hundred $ a PS so I can take a full body shot of the same sea slug to show my friends or maybe even get published.
But if for some reason I'm into taking photos of sea slug nose hairs, will the PnS take as good of a photo as the DSLR?

-----------------------

One problem in this thread is that two sets of questions and considerations are getting intermingled.

The first set of questions have to do with the various strengths and weakness of PnS vs. DSLR in terms of performance ---- ease of composition, ability to focus, overall image quality, shutter lag, ..... whatever.

The 2nd set of questions has to do with how those strengths and weaknesses affect different types of photography.

It might very well be that PnS is best for taking full body shots of slugs at the quality needed for showing my friends, while the DSLR is best if I'm looking to get a really finely detailed shot of sea slug nose hair.

The first set of questions on relative performance, strengths, and weaknesses is an area where I'd expect there to be a general concensus. On the question of "what's the purpose of photography" I'd expect different people to come to different conclusions.

I can't make a fair assement of images if I can't try both systems, can I?

So, which P&S can I use to take 3:1 or greater magnification images?

I don't think you're going to get an answer since there isn't a P&S that can do that, as far as I know. I can't think of any. However, you don't need to spend $6000 on a housed dSLR to do so. I bought a set of diopters (for less than $100) which fit nicely on my 105mm micro which allows me to do 3:1 macro, so really you can do this with just about any dSLR, even the considerably less than $6000 housed dSLRs.

Can I see your pictures, please Mr. F3?

You have my gmail address, Mr V. I await with unsuppressed eagerness.

Back
Top Bottom