DS undergarmets...Merino Wool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
After looking at all the available drysuit undergarments, I am wondering if any of you have used a regiment of Merino wool as apposed to the bulky polar fleece and other offereings? It has worked for me greatly in my outdoor endeavors (non aquatic) for less active and longer exposure times than that of any of my dives.

What are your thoughts?

I love merino wool; it is my favourite fabric hands down. I wear Minus 33 brand longjohns and undershirt (400gm merino wool), wool overshirt, thick wool socks and a Bare 200gm thinsulate suit over that, all inside a bilam drysuit.

One time last winter my suit flooded so badly that I could hear wated squishing in my boots as I walked, and I was impressed that my layers still kept me warm despite being soaked.

The only difficulty I can think of to using merino as an alternative to a suit-syle undergarment is that (depending on how warm your drysuit itself is.) you may have trouble getting enough thickness for it to do the job by itself. I got my longjohns and shirt through the mail and was surprised that even 400g wool is quite thin. Also they were pretty expensive so even with the high cost of undergarments you might not save much money.

If you're interested, check out ebay seller Abovetheridge. Their service/exchange policies are excellent.

I was looking at going the Merino wool route but after contacting a couple manufacturers like Minus33, I found they didn't carry tall sizing so I was out of luck. As Locus said - they can get pricey for the heavier weights and I didn't want to spend that kind of cash and not have proper sizing.

Ultimately I went with Weezle Extreme + and I am super happy. It is "lofty" but compresses down and I have no issues getting in my drysuit with it on like I did with some traditional thinsulate type undergarments. If it gets wet, I still stay warm and it dries very quickly (overnight easily) so it is ready for another dive the next day.

In the end I would say the Weezle was about the same cost as a name brand heavy weight Merinio wool system. To be honest - I am thinking I may use the Weezle for other outdoor activities when I don't have a lot of physical activity but need to stay warm.

I have used Minus 33 over the last 3 years (Smartwool before that) for ALL my outside endeavors. Minus has the best value bar none in the Merino world and I caught some wicked sales when I purchased mine. I already have multiple sets of the heavier weights, which I layer for outdoor activities down to the single digits with a weather barrier exterior shell. Already have the investment.

So I guess the deterrent is the price?

Any thoughts on how many layers of the 400g would be necessary with a shell suit? I'm diving Puget Sound and am comfortable running with a UA Cold Gear base layer and Thermal Fusion under a Whites Fusion Tech. It would be nice to give up some of the TF bulk though.

Estimating by what I use already in combination with my 400gm merino layer, I would want no less than three layers of wool that weight if I expected to stay comfy, but would probably start with more.

One other factor that I find reduces comfort when layering is the combined pressure of multiple elastic waist bands. I noticed it when using 3 layers of longjohns, so now I limit it to two, plus the thinsulate suit, which has no waist band. I've never found my 4-layer system to be too bulky, though it likely does increase my ballast requirements. But I stay warm.

Wow, that many layers?...The thing about Merino is it is an inherently better insulator per weight count than most other insulators. Therefore, the thinness/thickness argument is out the door. That is why people wear it because you don't have to be all bundled up like the kid from the Christmas Story movie.

Wearing 3 layers or Minus at 230 wt Midweight Merino never mind 400 wt is really cooking. It is not a weight that I would want to wear while doing any type of activity other than sitting in 15/20 degree weather! Not because it is bulky, but because its HOT!

I am not discounting anyone's experiences, but head to head a 400 +200 merino should win everyday over a 400 + 200 thinsulate, be thinner, and keep you drier.

I haven't seen independent data on this, but Thinsulate's manufacturer claims that it insulates more effectively for a given thickness than any other material, including wool.

Maybe I misspoke and 2-3 layers of 400gm would be fine, but I tend to pack the layers on quite a bit with a bilam suit. I'm not a wimp about cold (I usually still swim the lakes of Southern British Columbia in the spring and fall), but I find I need the extra insulation when I am in 8°C water in a bag suit for 60+ minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom