Drysuits: Trilam, neoprene, or crushed neoprene?

What kind of drysuit do you prefer?

• trilaminate

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • neoprene

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • crushed neoprene

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • don't like drysuits

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
:confused:
I see from the board that front zip seems to be the way to go for a drysuit.
But what is the best material especially when it comes to sreamlining underwater: trilaminate, neoprene, crushed neoprene?
How do each type of drysuit affect the amount of weight one must don?
Which type is warmer?

[1) All drysuits have more drag than wetsuits. It's the nature of the beast. Just pick the one that best suits your needs. (No pun intended :wink:)

2) Regular neoprene (1/4" or about 6mm) suits are the most buoyant. There is very little difference in buoyancy for trilam vs. crushed/compressed neoprene.

3) Regular neoprene is the only one that has any type of inherent wampth in the fabric itself. The rest rely on undergarments to keep you warm. Like any exposure protection, how much or how little you wear under a suit is entirely dependent on your own personal cold threshold.

Unfortunately, there are far too many variables to answer your questions with specifics. Unless you can supply more detail???

~SubMariner~

Just in case you're not confused enough already, there are also a few more you should consider:
Single layer (Like the Viking Xtreme)
bi-laminate
vulcanized
and
compressed neoprene.

Not all front zips are created equal, depending on design, they can be a pain in the neck (pun intended) to get on.
A front entry will usually add $100 - $200 to the cost of the suit.

There is a very good thread posted elsewhere on the board that goes into considerable detail about the advantages & disadvantages of each type, I'll see if I can find it.

Hey, drizzt117 beat me to it, way to go. Keep up the good work, eh?

It's worth considering getting a custom drysuit so that drag is minimized by avoiding excess material. Compressed neoprene is tuffer than trilaminate material IMO. That being said I have a trilam. If you dive in a cold environment, a thinsulate insulated undergarment is worth considering.

Suit preference depends on what application you are planning. I've got 3 dry suits for different applications. If you are going to be in a sharp, jagged environment, Neoprene or kevlar reinforced (or both) is a good idea. I like neoprene in cold water due to a bad experience with a trilam. I like trilam in big caves due to comfort.
As for efficiency, I can swim farther in a cave in a neoprene suit than I can in the DUI tls 350 or Clx 450. The bags aren't custom fit, but they seem to have more drag (for me).
Cheers and safe diving
Sherpa

It also omits a vulcanized suit ie Gates, Viking Pro or Viking HD

Mike D

a point that hasn't been discussed but becomes real important on dive day: air temp. If the air temp is warm, you're hot in any drysuit but damn near dying in anything other than a tri-lam.

I own a tri-lam (tls 350) and a compressed neoprene (Bare Xcd2). So far this year it hasn't gotten cool enough on the surface that I though I could survive the neoprene suit. Very much hoping for a dive day in the 50s so I can try it out.

Tom

Technically the suit I just ordered/bought is none of the above. Someone told me it's really a Bi-Lam. But the manufacture says its a coated nylon shell, so whatever. Same thing as a Tri-Lam just different construction (still fits the same, no inherint insulation, etc.)

But I prefer the Shell Types, Tri-Lam etc... I suppose crushed/compressed neo might be ok, but I'll stick to shells :D

WreckWriter once bubbled...
a point that hasn't been discussed but becomes real important on dive day: air temp. If the air temp is warm, you're hot in any drysuit but damn near dying in anything other than a tri-lam.

I own a tri-lam (tls 350) and a compressed neoprene (Bare Xcd2). So far this year it hasn't gotten cool enough on the surface that I though I could survive the neoprene suit. Very much hoping for a dive day in the 50s so I can try it out.

Tom

Have you had a chance to try your Bare Xcd2 too out yet? I'm just in the process of possibly buying one? Any advice on why you chose this suit and on how well it works would be appreciated, as your post makes me wonder whether I made a mistake. I basically bought it to dive near Port Hardy, BC this fall, and occasionally in local lakes and rivers. These get pretty cool about 50 - 60 feet down, but the surface temperature can be quite warm in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom