Drysuits for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver:
Bare doesn't do a true custom (I have a friend who just went through this) they will take your measurements and fit the closest "stock" peices to them. It doesn't always work out right (her's didn't).
I just ordered a drysuit from divetank.com they charged me a extra $150 and took over 25 measurements from me, and I got a custom suit made by bare, made to my size from Bare drysuits,They do have over 22 sizes however I wanted custom due to body building, its worked great. The nex gen was a great suit,lots of room, however I needed something for wreck diving

bottom-time :10:

Kimmer:
Hi There!
I am quite new to diving, and will be diving in and around the Pacific North West (Vancouver/Van. Island/Seattle) so will need a dry suit. I am drysuit certified, and did this training in a neoprene drysuit. I want to begin saving for one and would also take suggestions of where to buy. (preferably in Canada, but am open to deals in the US)

I am wondering about the trilaminates vs. neoprene.
Any opinions? Pros & cons?

I have to add that I am short (5'4") and wear size 14/16 in street clothes, but have a large (DD) chest.
Is it a problem to find suits in women's sizes? The ones that I used on the course were too long in the legs and body, and huge in the feet. They also leaked like crazy (since also the seals were too big even when taped) and I got soaked each time. Will I need to buy a custom suit?
Is there anyone who actually takes into account the shape and size of women?
Thanks for any advice you can give!!

Kim :bounce:

Neoprene over trilaminate

Depending type of diving, wreck, ice, Neoprene is warmer,however not as light. I find they both do the same job keeping you dry. You have to put the suit on ,its feel and touch I think. For cold water diving neoprene is the way to go, for warm and cold tri. For price buy a dual lam style like the bare nex gen or a get a custom Bare xcd2 pro dry

Bottom-time

chickdiver:
Bare doesn't do a true custom (I have a friend who just went through this) they will take your measurements and fit the closest "stock" peices to them. It doesn't always work out right (her's didn't).
I just paid $150 for a custom Bare from divetank.com and they took like 25 measurements from me and I got the best fiitting drysuits I have ever worn. Its custom and took a extra 10 days to build from sratch. Bare has over 20 factory sizes however custom is a option

Bottom time

Kimmer:
Thanks everyone for the input!! It is greatly appreciated. I'll let you know what I end up with!

Kimmer
Hey Kimmer, if you haven't picked up your suit yet, I would checkout the white's cold water drysuits. Good selection and a true custom fit. Most shops in Victoria (where the factory is) and Vancouver can do the sizing. The prices are definately competitive. My wife is of a difficult shape as well and the money on custom is so worth it. Good Luck!

Hey Kimmer..
If you haven't decided on a dry suit yet... check out www.divingconcepts.com... I am a NJ wreck diver who has used a DUI dry suit for years.. BUT DUI charges a premium for "custom" fitting that really isn't. My DiveShop started carrying them and the people who dive them love them.. they are much more "custom" IMHO.. go for the custom fit.. consider the dry suit a long term investment.. being warm & dry extends your season.. extends your dives and reduces fatigue..

Over time.. esp with wreck diving and lobstering.. the neoprene holds up better & keeps you warmer.. with trilam your warmth comes totally from your undergarment..

Let us know which dry suit you decide upon..

Bottom-time:
I just paid $150 for a custom Bare from divetank.com and they took like 25 measurements from me and I got the best fiitting drysuits I have ever worn. Its custom and took a extra 10 days to build from sratch. Bare has over 20 factory sizes however custom is a option

Bottom time

Hey Bottom-time,
Thanks for positive feedback. Hope you're enjoying your Bare drysuit.

Hi Kimmer,

I do have a White's 45th anniversary and I love it. I bought it used (10 dives on it and the girl decided that finallygive up diving) but the girl had it custom fit to her and I am about the same proportion than her. My boyfriend decide to get the same one custom fit for him, and we both agreed that the drysuit is one of our best buy in scuba diving. We are diving in the Ontario Great lakes and in the St-Lawrence river, and we started our season one month ago, just after the ice. It's a neoprene suit, so it's not light, actually starting to use a drysuit is like learn to dive again, but after we finally get used to it we really like it. Last summer we dived only just 4 or 5 times in wetsuit, all the other dives were in dry...

About the underwear, I always used the same I have for winter sport. Girls do you have good argument about getting the ones from your drysuit company ?

I just got a DUI drysuit and i got the greatest drysuit underwear ever. The weezles are so comfortable and warm for the diving i do. Would not trade them for anything

Bottom-time:
Neoprene over trilaminate

Depending type of diving, wreck, ice, Neoprene is warmer,however not as light. I find they both do the same job keeping you dry. You have to put the suit on ,its feel and touch I think. For cold water diving neoprene is the way to go, for warm and cold tri.
Bottom-time

I know everyone is an expert but here is an opinion shared by myself and many others. Take it for what it is.

Neoprene is only warmer in the first 50 or 60 feet after which it loses it's insulating properties as it compresses just like a wetsuit does so now you end up with inadequate thermal protection at depth.

It also provides no end of buoyancy issues for the same reasons. Not impossible to overcome but a neoprene on depth changes is like a manual car vs an automatic in cruise control with a tri-lam.

Although it is true that it is initially harder to puncture than a good tri-laminate suit it is much harder to both find the leak and patch the leak. Why would you be running into things forcefully anyways? Just stay off the bottom, sides, etc, and problem solved.

Did I mention with neoprene that they are heavy and when wet...HEAVY!....

They also take a rediculous amount of time to dry especially in humid environments.

A good tri-laminate suit such as the DUI CLX-450 will be just as durable as any neoprene suit without the buoyancy, and insulation issues that come with neoprene suits and you can control your warmth even at depth through use of the proper amount of undergarments for insulation.

Anyways. Like I said. That's just one opinion. To each their own.

Well I didn't see anyone mention the Diving Concept Pinnacle, which is my new suit. I lived and dove in Seattle for 2 years and suffered the cold in my DUI TLS 350 and can't wait to experience the difference of having a neoprene. I ordered a custion DC mainly because I am 5'4", small on the bottom and bigger chest up top. I also have 2 custom undergarmets by DC that fit great. I am really pleased with the fit, but did have to have to further customize after the first make because I still had too much room in the butt, but now it is great. Fifth Dimension in Seattle is the place to get a DC suit as they have lots of experience measuring and fitting them...can check out on their website www.fifthd.com (great info on drysuits)! Anyways, just wanted to give you another option to look into :)

Best of luck,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom