Drysuits for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimmer

Reaction score
Hi There!
I am quite new to diving, and will be diving in and around the Pacific North West (Vancouver/Van. Island/Seattle) so will need a dry suit. I am drysuit certified, and did this training in a neoprene drysuit. I want to begin saving for one and would also take suggestions of where to buy. (preferably in Canada, but am open to deals in the US)

I am wondering about the trilaminates vs. neoprene.
Any opinions? Pros & cons?

I have to add that I am short (5'4") and wear size 14/16 in street clothes, but have a large (DD) chest.
Is it a problem to find suits in women's sizes? The ones that I used on the course were too long in the legs and body, and huge in the feet. They also leaked like crazy (since also the seals were too big even when taped) and I got soaked each time. Will I need to buy a custom suit?
Is there anyone who actually takes into account the shape and size of women?
Thanks for any advice you can give!!

Kim :bounce:

I have a DUI TLS350, and it fits me just fine. I am also not so tall - 5'5" (my 6'2" boyfriend calls me a gnome). I think I wear about a 6/8 street clothes, but I too have been "blessed" (yeah, right) with ddd's as well. The top of the suit kinda blouses out, so it fits really well. It's a trilaminate suit, so it's pretty lightweight. I ordered it through my lds, and though it's not a true custom suit, I did have the option of choosing the foot size.
There is absolutely no comparison between a nice, new suit that actually FITS, and a leaky, non-fitting, uncomfortable rental!

I feel your pains, except I went and did something about it. About 4 years ago I had a breast reduction, going from a DD+ to a C. Best thing I ever did. I still have some problems with the shoulders being too large and the legs and arms being too long, but overall it has solved most of the more annoying issues I used to have.

I'm new to diving but not new to suits. I've been rafting and caving for over 7 years. Right now I'm in the midwest and I desparatly want to drive where it's warm. Ahh, one day.

Oh, and the most recommended suit by my friends for someone our size are the NextGen suits. They are also ::gasps:: affordable!

I would definetly take a look at the Bare NexGen line of suits, they are made of a bilaminate material and are quite "baggy". We sell them at the shop I work for and you can order one custom fit for only a bit more than an "off the shelf" size. I know the make male and female styles as well because when I bought mine I did not notice the little(f) in brackets on the sizing....so now I have a suit with a bit more room in the hips than I require :)
Like already posted there is nothing like a suit that fits and does not leak. If you are in Vancouver BC area there are a few shops which carry the Bare line and there is a local company who taylors the sizes so the time from when you order it to when it arrives at the LDS is usually quite acceptable.

Bare doesn't do a true custom (I have a friend who just went through this) they will take your measurements and fit the closest "stock" peices to them. It doesn't always work out right (her's didn't).

the only complaint I have with the Bare is that the feet are ginormous.

Pretty much any custom drysuit. I know White's has a large selection and does a true custom. And are in Western Canada.

I love my Diving Concepts. It's made of a stretchy tri-lam. I have met women who swear by neoprene drysuits for similar reasons. But, you probably have to carry a couple pounds more weight with a neoprene suit.

One friend did have a problem with a custom suit but she was more of an A shaped body. Her custom Andy's fit great once on. But she had a dickens of a time getting it on and off. They made the suit to her measurments but forgot that the top part of her suit had to make it over her hips to get in and out.

Paula

Thanks everyone for the input!! It is greatly appreciated. I'll let you know what I end up with!

Kimmer

I can't recommend enough DUI. I've had a 50/50 suit for years now... about six. They do a "custom" for another couple of hundred dollars, it's worth it.

I dove two neoprene suits before that, a Henderson and an O'Neil. I would NEVER go back to either one. The Bare suit didn't impress me, but I haven't dove it.

Don't forget to factor in the price of good underwear, that makes all the difference in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom