Drysuit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hinzer

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is silicon grease petroleum based? I was told a little grease at the docking point of the dry suit zipper is required. Any help is appreciated.

Hinzer

From what I understand, you are suppose to use zipper wax. Other products might make it difficult to replace the zipper later. I think there is also a liquid product labeled for drysuit zippers.

Wax is cheap... I would stick to drysuit zipper wax... Not worth it to damage an expensive suit. Don't use anything that is not labeled for your drysuit. Check the manufacturer's website, and see what they recommend.

Dry suit zippers must be kept lubricated. Grease is generally not recommended because it will wash off too fast. There are a number of zipper wax products on the market for use with dry suits. Most are a combination of paraffin and beeswax. I generally just use a lump of pure beeswax. I go to the Wisconsin state fair in Milwaukee each year and beekeepers there sell both honey and beeswax.

Is silicon grease petroleum based? I was told a little grease at the docking point of the dry suit zipper is required. Any help is appreciated.

Hinzer

You are correct. Many suits come from the factory with a small wad of silicone grease at the docking point. This is intended to help seal off the butt joint formed when the slider hits the stop.

As you can tell so far folks get by fine without replenishing it if theirs ever even had it in the first place.

For the risk of attracting debris and contaminating the suit with silicone (which can make future repair a bear) I would not bother replenishing the grease unless you begin to get some seepage.

Pete

I got this recommendation from Trelleborg (Viking) about the grease at Our World Underwater. I checked with three dive shops and all looked at me like I am from out space. Maybe I am. All your suggestions were welcome.

Hinzer

Hinzer, It is a very real manufacturing practice but it seems to be less than essential in practice. Rest assured you are from Earth.

Waxing the outside (not the meshing teeth) of the zipper is important.

Pete

Zipper wax is best...works great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom