Drysuit Weighting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey- great thread, this is exacty what I was hoping to find on here. I just picked up my first drysuit last night (trilam) after diving wet the last 2 weekends in the 32-degree St. Lawrence, so looking forward to getting it in open water!

My question, especially for Groundhog since you sound like you just recently went dry, did you find you had to use more or less weight with the drysuit than you did wet? I'm getting conflicting opinions on that question.

After trying the suit in the pool last night I'm tempted to use a couple of extra pounds until I get back to good buoyancy control, but I'm thinking that just means I'll need more air in the suit which would be counterproductive.

Any & all input appreciated, thanks!

Air_Miser
(Changing my nickname to: "Upside-down guy rocketing toward the surface")

I haven't tried it with the full undies yet (they arrived after the suit). I'm planning on trying them in the pool Mar 28. What I did wear was track pants and long sleeved T and I used less weight than I do with my 3mm steamer. I'd certainly lean towards a bit more, as being too light at the end of a dive is BAD. It will depend on what undies you wear, what's under the undies, also on your hood and gloves. When I got my 7mm semi dry I dialed it in in the pool, "without" my hood and gloves. The end of my first OW with it, I had to pick up a rock for ballast.

I dropped a few pounds when I put the drysuit on as compared to a 2 piece 7mm. Also, consider using your BC for buoyancy control instead of the drysuit. Keeping just enough air in the suit to keep off major squeeze allows for better fit and control.

Firediver:
No probs.. We will be doing a shark dive and dive the Sagonay in Augest.. I think the weekend of the 21st and 22 in Luninburge NS. Again thank you for the advice on weighting greatly appreciated.
Hi

For your diving in Lunnenburg in Aug are you going out with a dive shop? If so I will probably see you out there. I am taking my DM course with Sand & Sea dive shop that offers a Saugeny dive and a shark cage dive.
Did you know that South Shore Dive Shop (formerly Joes Dive Shop) has closed down? They had a going out of business sale the end of last season. I believe Sand & Sea will be putting a shop down there that will just be open during the summer dive season that will provide air, rentals etc.

Anywho, if you are ever in this neck of the woods let me know, I live in the Kingston NS area.

Take Care

We are going through Torpedo Rays'. In Augest. But yeah maybe will see you. Salt_water_cowboy, you come up to NB and dive at all???

As for the weighting I have had to add more weight to my drysuit then what I used for my 7mm semi dry. I did decrease my weight from 40-37lbs.. but I was too light.. so I guess 40lbs it will have to be...

i ended up diving with the same amount of lead dry or wet. 16lbs with a al 80 and al bp & w.

Firediver:
We are going through Torpedo Rays'. In Augest. But yeah maybe will see you. Salt_water_cowboy, you come up to NB and dive at all???

As for the weighting I have had to add more weight to my drysuit then what I used for my 7mm semi dry. I did decrease my weight from 40-37lbs.. but I was too light.. so I guess 40lbs it will have to be...
Nope we haven't gotten over to NB yet. Are there any good spots for Camping and diving? I'm from Cape Breton originally and I know tons of spot there, however, always looking for something new! When are you guys coming here for your charter again?

As for my weighting - shorty 16 lbs, 7.5 wetsuit 28-30 lbs, 7 mil drysuit 50-52 lbs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom