Drysuit vs. 7mil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devin27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

Im sure this has been discussed before but I'll ask anyways. Im from Florida and living in Seattle for the summer(long way from home). Ive got a couple sites picked out to try but I've never been in water colder than 70 degrees. Ive got a guide to take me on a cold water orientation dive but Im not sure if im going to be miserable in a 7mil and should go for dry.

thoughts? personal experience?

Devin

I am sure more experienced NW divers will chime in, but I found a drysuit to really make my dives easier and more enjoyable. I am a heater and wasn't totally uncomfortable in a wetsuit, but moving to a drysuit was wonderful. The cost and time of training may be an impact with your short stay. Your guide may be able to help you decide what would be best with how many dives you are planning this summer. Welcome to the PNW, you will enjoy what we have underwater here!

I agree with BiggieB -- Most local divers end up going to a drysuit, it's more comfortable. But on a warm summer day? Sure, a 7mm should be fine, especially if you're only doing one dive (or if you're thick-skinned). I'm tempted to buy a 7mm just for the [few] hot days we have.

...Any other day of the year I get cold way too easily to even consider a wetsuit...

glenn

So when can I expect those to come around????
Its cold out there and I cant find the sun

Its just like scuba...don't hold your breath.

One more for drysuit...

I don't live in the NW, but I do dive both wet and dry depending upon water temperatures. The rule I live by is ... water temperatures belox 60 degrees F. = Dry.

So when can I expect those to come around????
Its cold out there and I cant find the sun

So this aerospace engineering student moves to Seattle... After two months he hasn't seen the sun. After four months he still hasn't seen it, and he's starting to go crazy. After six months his sanity is on the edge and he grabs the first person he sees -- a kid -- and says, "Kid, doesn't the sun ever come out here!?"

The kid replies, "How should I know? I'm only 8."
:D

Hey all,

Im sure this has been discussed before but I'll ask anyways. Im from Florida and living in Seattle for the summer(long way from home). Ive got a couple sites picked out to try but I've never been in water colder than 70 degrees. Ive got a guide to take me on a cold water orientation dive but Im not sure if im going to be miserable in a 7mil and should go for dry.

thoughts? personal experience?

Devin

Hello Devin... I dove 6 dives this past weekend in a drysuit. A few guys and gals dove in 7 mm one peice and hooded velocity vests. We did three dives a day with the average 55 f at the bottom. Our deepest dive was 110 feet and the bottom temp was 52 with a dive time of 24 min. We experienced a few nasty thermo's but again everyone in 7mm suits were comfortable. Give It a shot!

I dove the Sound last September with a 5/3 + Shorty because I didn't want to bother with a DS on the plane. It was bearable for a few dives, but I did get cold. If you want to get more than one dive in, dive dry.

When I went back in January, I went through the trouble of bringing my DS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom