Drysuit vs. 7mil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really comes down to how much you plan to dive. If you are only here for the summer, and intend to return to Florida and have no need for a dry suit there, it doesn't make much sense to buy one. In addition, if you have never dived a dry suit, there IS a learning curve.

In summer water here, people do dive wet. They usually don't do more than one dive in a day, though.

If Seattle will be a long-term base, or you intend to return here, I think a dry suit is a must.

I just dove in the sound with a two piece 7mil suite and stayed nice and warm the whole time. When it comes for multiply dives I find hot water helps to put on the wet suite, especially if it's cold and wet. I've never used a dry suite so I don't know what's better just that I was fine in the wet suite.

Well I went for the wet suit, and it honestly wasn't that bad. The dive master I went with actually came prepared with hot water and that felt great. It wasn't too bad until the end of our 2nd dive, then it was getting a little cold. But I would definitely go again and plan to. I want to dive Hood canal and Edmonds underwater park

Sounds good Devin. i'm completing my first year of diving here and I had planned on sticking with my wetsuit all year round. But when the water temp in the winter hit 43 that was it. I switched to a drysuit and, as TS&M said there is a learning curve. I had my bouyancy down pat but am now having to relearn that. Yet I plan on using my wetsuit in the summer. I'm a "warm" guy and know I'll just get too hot. 55 degrees is just refreshing...

Hey all,

Im sure this has been discussed before but I'll ask anyways. Im from Florida and living in Seattle for the summer(long way from home). Ive got a couple sites picked out to try but I've never been in water colder than 70 degrees. Ive got a guide to take me on a cold water orientation dive but Im not sure if im going to be miserable in a 7mil and should go for dry.

thoughts? personal experience?

Devin

Hey Devin,

I don't live in the PNW but I did do most of my diving in the Great Lakes all year round in a 7mm with a hooded 7mm vest ( Bare Artic) My personal coldest dive was 36 degrees on a new years day dive in Lake Ontario for 24 minutes...when you have to use the palm of your right hand to inflate your BCD you know it's a tad too cold... Now, I wouldn't suggest you try that...that was "slightly" insane in retrospect...but hey the viz was awesome. :eyebrow:

I personally like to go wet. I dive a Bare XCD2 tec dry as well but prefer my 7mm...call me crazy but I like to feel the water that I dive in...now that being said..there is something to be said about getting out of a 40 minute dive in 45 degree water and just unzipping out of a drysuit and stepping right into your vehicle.,,that does make you think..

There is a definite learning curve with the drysuit...buoyancy will be "off" for the first couple of dives and you'll have to get a handle on the shifting air in your suit...but once you get that down...you'll love a drysuit. Of course I don't have to tell you to use an instructor....

I guess the real answer comes down to personal preference. I like both.

dive safe & stay warm

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom