Drysuit talc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive latex seals, and believe it or not, KY gel or astro lube is cheap, and obvisouly safe for latex

Has it occured to anyone, dry suit makers especially that most products made of latex are for one time use? The seals on my old uni-suit were smooth skin neoprene. After years of use and abuse I recently disposed of the suit without ever changing the wrist or neck seals.

Last edited:
$15 shipped? That's too good of a price. I just bought a drysuit and am now learning about all those relevant things that go along with it.

I have one question...it seems that all the discussion is about latex seals. My suit has silicone seals. The manual suggests talc powder but is a little ambiguous because it also talks about latex seals.

Is the talc powder also recommended for silicone seals?

Dave4868, if Waterproof says yes, I will be ordering from YOU!

$15 shipped? That's too good of a price. I just bought a drysuit and am now learning about all those relevant things that go along with it.

I have one question...it seems that all the discussion is about latex seals. My suit has silicone seals. The manual suggests talc powder but is a little ambiguous because it also talks about latex seals.

Is the talc powder also recommended for silicone seals?

Dave4868, if Waterproof says yes, I will be ordering from YOU!

You're right, it's too good a price! :wink:

Actually, it's a pretty old thread and increasing costs required a slight increase in price. Compare and give a holler if I can be of service! TIA! :)

Dave C

Pharmaceutical grade talc is great and really cheap in bulk. If you find some one who actually uses the stuff (druggist, private practice doc) they'll frequently provide you with enough for diving basically for free. Take them a cake at Christmas every year and everybody's likely to be more than happy with the exchange.

Take them a cake at Christmas every year and everybody's likely to be more than happy with the exchange.

I tried this once.....cake did not survive the drive to the pharmacy and I left the pharmacy empty handed :doh:

Primarily, I use Seal Saver. It's served me well, with typically 700+ dives between seal replacement.

With that said, I occasionally do use Talc. Since one of my other hobbies involves lots of epoxies and carbon fiber, my source is US Composites. Talc from them is $5.50 for 5 lbs, or $30 for 50 lbs.

All the best, James

I have just been notified by the manufacturer that since my seals are silicone there is there is no special
maintenance required - just treat it like I treat my mask.

Another benefit of silicone over latex?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom