Drysuit Recommendations for middle-aged female FL diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I had a long call with the folks at DRIS, and I am close to ordering from them, and not bothering the fine folks down in Hallendale Beach.

However, here's another question: What do you ladies do about urination?

ta dah!!!!!
that's the reason why I use a wet suit as long in the season as possible.

Depends or She-P!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't the boat have a head on it? Pee before going diving and pee on the surface interval. This is where having removable pants comes in handy, not a one piece jumpsuit. Although I think some of the Whites units have a rear butt drop on them.

I am one of the few that doesn't pee in my wetsuit, but have a pee valve so I can pee in my drysuit. We tend to do longer dives locally though.

She-P info:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/397591-help-me-pee.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dive-ny/392115-things-i-learned-about-she-p.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...discussions/234766-female-p-valves-she-p.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/womens-perspectives/346338-question-she-p-users.html

If you are doing the typical recreational dive of about an hour, going to the bathroom right before getting into the suit will buy you enough time for a good, long dive. You will probably need to use the head when you get out of the water. Eating a little salty food before diving will help, too, as well avoiding a large, caffeinated beverage right before getting in the water :)

If you are diving off boats where you don't want to hang your rear end over the side, or if you begin to do dives that last longer than the hour or so typical of recreational dives, there is a device called the She-P that you glue to your perineum and connect to a p-valve in the suit. I really think most recreational divers can make do without one, though. I use one, and I do use it on days when I'm out on a boat, just because I have it and I'm too lazy to get out of the suit to pee, but I don't think it's a real necessity for most recreational dry suit divers.

I have two Fusions. Under normal circumstances (if both suits are in good working order) I dive the Tech at home, because I like the pockets, and I use the Sport with X-shorts for travel, because it's lighter and dries faster. I don't dive wet anywhere, and I just vary the undergarments -- fleece for warm water, 200g Thinsulate for Florida caves, and a base layer with the Thermal Fusion for diving here at home. The suit easily accommodates a variety of undergarment thicknesses.

Do you have two whole Fusion suits or one underlayer with two skins? Can you buy just the skin?

I pulled the trigger.

I bought a Whites Fusion Sport with the SLT seals and a p-valve and a She-p.

I ordered it from DRIS and benefited from their lifetime warranty offer.

I will try chuck taylors for my feet.

For the time being I will stick with one of the many pairs of wet gloves I have or no gloves.

I am going to get some fleece undergarments.

The suit should be here in three weeks, giving me about 3 weeks to try and learn how to use it at home before Bonaire. If I get it figured out, I will dive dry in Bonaire!

Thanks, thanks, thanks you guys for ALL your thoughtful answers, direction, and comments.

Until then I will continue to freeze in my Akona 7mm (borrowed from my smallest sized son - men's small) with my 3/5 hood.

I will let you guys know how I make out floating upside down on the surface :wink:

How much weight should I try? I weigh 135. I usually dive with 8 lb with a 3mm full suit.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger.

I bought a Whites Fusion Sport with the SLT seals and a p-valve and a She-p.

I ordered it from DRIS and benefited from their lifetime warranty offer.

I will try chuck taylors for my feet.

For the time being I will stick with one of the many pairs of wet gloves I have or no gloves.

I am going to get some fleece undergarments.

The suit should be here in three weeks, giving me about 3 weeks to try and learn how to use it at home before Bonaire. If I get it figured out, I will dive dry in Bonaire!

Thanks, thanks, thanks you guys for ALL your thoughtful answers, direction, and comments.

Until then I will continue to freeze in my Akona 7mm (borrowed from my smallest sized son - men's small) with my 3/5 hood.

I will let you guys know how I make out floating upside down on the surface :wink:

How much weight should I try? I weigh 135. I usually dive with 8 lb with a 3mm full suit.

Weight wise, it depends. In my drysuit with arctic undergarments, and a single steel 12l, I use 2kg in fresh, 4 in salt water. In my 300 gram undersuit it becomes 4 and 6 respectively. In my twins and 300 gram undersuit and base layer, I wear 3kg, in my arctics, I won't need any weight. I'm 5'3, 125 lbs. I know of people who are similar size to me that wear a lot more weight than I do.

I think I use about 12 lbs with an Al80 and my fleece sweats. 5'4", 120 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom