Drysuit Recommendations for middle-aged female FL diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy my slightly used size 01 $440 DUI RS1050 vulcanized suit! It's heavy, but it'll be bombproof. :D

The new White's Fusion suits are nice? The exterior lycra is a nice touch and streamlines them to the level of a wetsuit.

When I dive in warm water, I don't wear a hood unless my photographer buddy asks me to . . . and I don't use any sort of gloves. You are very likely to get somewhat damp at the wrists if you wear no gloves or wet gloves, because wrists seals don't always work perfectly, especially if you need to make use of your hands, but again, in the water where you are talking about diving, being wet is an annoyance and not a disaster.

I have never seen or used the "attached" boots for the Fusion. I have used a variety of footgear, including wetsuit booties (which work great in warm water), Chuck Taylors (which are only annoying because you have to do up the laces), Gill Marine boat shoes (my current choice), and Bare dry suit boots, which I liked a lot until I changed to socks that didn't fit in them.

The quick change seal system is a double-edged sword. It makes seal replacement something you can honestly do on a boat, but it does make your wrists clumsy, and it restricts your range of motion in your arms and shoulders somewhat. Especially for people our size, reaching across your body (or for us doubles divers, back to your valves) is affected, but it's manageable.

I'm reasonably DIYish, and so far, I've had no success at all with the heat tape. I don't know why. I burned a hole in the suit the last time I tried to use it :)

Lynn, just out of curiosity what do you use for adhesives on your Fusions when you replace the seals? When I just redid my cuffs I used the heat tape (mostly because I had some lying around). After hearing Peter C's description of Aquaseal's excellent bonding abilities I don't think that option is for me. I used Woodweld contact cement to reattach the Velcro to the cuffs and that seams to be working fine(on the suit outside material that is).

Well, I've only tried one seal replacement on the Fusion suit, and it has not gone well at all. I initially tried the heat tape, which didn't stick to anything -- admittedly, it was fairly old, because it was given to me by our shop, which dropped its Whites dealership three years ago. Since I haven't had great luck with Aquaseal, I tried a straight glued repair with E3000, which initially didn't stick well at all, so I took the whole thing apart and redid it very carefully with multiple layers of glue and adequate drying time, and I still have a seepy leak. I am contemplating just putting the oval rings on the suit, even though it will mean giving up my beloved Viking dry gloves, because I've had it with seal replacement.

(BTW, I have successfully replaced seals on several other makes of suit, so it's not that I don't know how to do it.)

Aqua-Andy,

I can't find any relevant information for DRIS, please assist!

No one around here rents suits. I have an appointment to go to the place in Hallendale mentioned above (Wetwear/PSD), they are a Whites dealer/repair place to try a suit.

Would be interested in seeing what the deal posted for DRIS is.

Thanks!

Sorry Peter beet me to it, DRIS= Dive Right In Scuba. Just try to find a bad review on them, I'm pretty sure you will be looking for a long time. Mike and his staff are second to none.

I also second the recommendation to deal with Mike -- although, if you are going to a relatively local shop to try the suit on, it's kind of poor taste to then buy it on line.

Hi folks,
I have been reading through threads here and need some recommendations from you folks. I am 49 and live in S. FL. I weigh about 135 lb and am 5'3. I have become increasingly cold intolerant over the years. This winter, I have not gotten into the ocean because I am dreading the cold. Previously, I dove in the winter using a 7 mm wetsuit and a scuba coat while on board the dive boat. Last winter I met a similarly situated woman in a dry suit and she flaunted her warm/coziness in my face, so I have been thinking and researching, but am reluctant to pull the trigger on such a HUGE investment without some more thought and assistance. I doubt I will EVER dive in cold water. I am looking for a suit for diving in tropical water in the winter. (Yes, I am cold in water below 80 degrees) I generally dive off of dive boats, but have been known to go to Bonaire or other beach diving situations from time to time. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding appropriate brands/designs, etc? I am an advanced open water diver with about 400 dives under my belt. I don't mind doing a wreck dive, but never consciously put myself in any tight spots. Thanks for any help you have to offer.
Amy

I am similarly built. And I typically won't wear a wetsuit if the water is colder than 75F. That being said I only own two suits: a full length 3mm and a DUI 350 TLS trilam.

My drysuit was purchase about 12 years ago when we lived in Atlanta. I use here in FL during the "colder" months in the Gulf and Springs. (Although I have been known to actually use a wetsuit at the height of the Summer at Blue Grotto.) It's a trilam with neoprene seals that has served me well in fresh & salt water: from gunky Lake Lanier in GA to the Northern Red Sea, Egypt.

I like being able to layer on a little or as much as I want under it, depending on how cold the water is at depth. To date the coldest I've been this particular suit has been about 52F.

That being said, they DO make specific "tropical drysuits" that are lighter than my trilam. But you wouldn't be able to use them for much else. IMHO, as "mono taskers" they are expensive and not really worth the money.

FWIW,

Okay, I had a long call with the folks at DRIS, and I am close to ordering from them, and not bothering the fine folks down in Hallendale Beach.

However, here's another question: What do you ladies do about urination?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom