Drysuit Recommendations for middle-aged female FL diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES!!!!
wetwear is the place.

I'm weak when it comes to cold tolerance, but their wetsuits push my drysuit season to a very short one.

For the kind of diving you are going to do, I don't think you can beat the Whites Fusion Sport. It's so light you can ball it up and throw it across a room; it packs down as small as a thin wetsuit. You can buy it with the SiTech ring systems, so you can replace your own seals (and carry spares for travel). It dries quickly, and it's easy to get on with thin undergarments. For water in the 80's, I use a set of Lands End polarfleece sweats under the suit.

If you are willing to put up with having to send the suit out for neck seal replacement, you could look into the new back zip Fusion, which is being offered for $999, which is an amazingly good price on a dry suit.

The Fusion comes with fabric socks, and you can wear a slightly oversized set of wetsuit booties over them for warm water diving.

The other great thing about the Fusion is that it doesn't have to fit. As long as the suit is in the general ballpark and the seals fit, you're good to go. (I can dive my husband's suit as a backup for mine.) The suits are also very hard to damage.

I've been diving a Fusion since they first came out, and I now own two of them. I never dive wet anywhere any more.

Just wanted to chime in with a question. Do you wear the same Fusion drysuit to dive in cold water?

Just wanted to chime in with a question. Do you wear the same Fusion drysuit to dive in cold water?
TSandM can answer for herself, but I wear my Fusion with a Tech Skin no matter where I dive, unless the water is over 80 degreed in which case I "might" switch to a wetsuit, depending on how many days and number of dives are planned per day, along with conditions. My undergarments change with the water temperature.

I don't know what TSandM does but that is where the Fusion really shines. You get the same great fit weather wearing thin tropical undergarments or heavy cold water undergarments. In most other suits if the suit is sized for heavy undergarments you will have a lot of left over material to trap gas if you wear it with thin tropical undergarments. On the other hand if the suit is sized for tropical undergarments and you try to wear heavy undergarments you will have restricted movement.

I have two Fusions. Under normal circumstances (if both suits are in good working order) I dive the Tech at home, because I like the pockets, and I use the Sport with X-shorts for travel, because it's lighter and dries faster. I don't dive wet anywhere, and I just vary the undergarments -- fleece for warm water, 200g Thinsulate for Florida caves, and a base layer with the Thermal Fusion for diving here at home. The suit easily accommodates a variety of undergarment thicknesses.

~ I use the Sport with X-shorts for travel, because it's lighter and dries faster.
That is exactly why I mentioned fast drying times in my first post. In order to get my Tech Skin dry I have to remove the outer section and hang it over the A/C machine (Easy to take off, not as easy to put back on). If sun is available, then I put it out in the sun. 24 hours is just not enough drying time to get it 100% dry. Sounds like the sport skin dries much faster. X-shorts have generous pockets that work great, and make the sport skin viable.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

Ummm...this makes new very attractive.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hot-deals/443996-free-lifetime-warranty-any-drysuit-purchase.html

I am going to try to see if either of the two Whites dealers around here rent suits.

I was thinking I need the small/med. I seem to be right between the xs/sm and the sm/med using their charts.

I was thinking if I purchase that brand, I will go with the fusion boots (the boots are dry, right?). I know other people mentioned other boot options, I am confused.

I am unclear what to put underneath. Do I need to buy their underwear, too?? Seems like most of you don't bother. How will I know how much to put underneath in terms of keeping warm?

Do you dive with dry gloves?

And, here is the stupid questions ... does the suit connect to my octo or does it need its own can?

Also, less stupid, has anyone tried any of Whites "heat" hoods? They seem like standard 7/5 wet hoods.

Thanks so much everyone for all the feedback...

Oh, one more questions, how do you size the silicon neck and wrists for the "seal lock technology" system?

Oh, and another, do you think I can just train myself to use the suit?? Thanks, EVERYONE for your replies!

Last edited:
I am going to try to see if either of the two Whites dealers around here rent suits. I was thinking I need the small/med. I was thinking if I purchase I will go with the fusion boots. I am unclear what to put underneath. Do I need to buy their underwear, too?? And, here is the stupid questions ... does the suit connect to my octo or does it need its own can? Also, less stupid, has anyone tried any of Whites "heat" hoods? They seem like standard 7/5 wet hoods. Thanks so much everyone for all the feedback... Oh, one more questions, how do you size the silicon neck and wrists for the "seal lock technology" system? Oh, and another, do you think I can just train myself to use the suit?? Thanks, EVERYONE for your replies!

Here we go:wink:

1: If there is no shop around you that rents Fusions give DRIS a call. Mike said he does this all the time, don't quote me on this but I believe he said before that you only pay shipping if you don't purchase a suit.

2: I have never used the Fusion boots but the rep that services our local shop does not recommend them as they are very stiff and can affect some fin kicks. Also with the boots attached to the suit they will take much longer to dry. After unvelcroing an item on the suit once you will see you don't wan't to do it anymore than necessary. I would try some light wetsuit boots if it were me, I use my old Bare Trek boots just because I already had them.

3: For undergarments I would try TSandM's solution, if it keeps her warm you will probably be OK. Same apply for cold water diving. No need to spend more money than you have to.

4: You will need to connect an extra LP inflator hose to your first stage. if purchasing the suit new it will come free with it.

5: I use Xcell hoods, because that is what I had.

6: The selling dealer will decide if you need small or standard size seals then just trim them to size. If possible try to have someone that has done it before walk you through the seal trimming, it is not hard but can be nerve racking the first time. Another suggestion would be to tryout a suit with and without the SLT systems. They do add some bulk around your neck and wrists ans some people don't like them. Seals on this suit are actually farly easy to replace using the recommended heat activated tape, there are videos on the Youtube from whites on how to do this. If I was to purchase a suit for warm water diving I would not have the ring system, you can always add it later. One down fall to no SLT is you are stuck with latex seals. I had some bad experiences with the silicone year and a half ago and use latex now. There have been upgrades to the silicone in that time, Whites will tell you there has been no changes in the silicone but the manufacturer of the seals will tell you otherwise. I had to trim my original silicone seals almost half way down to get a comfortable fit. I tried a new seal last summer and uncut it was very comfortable.

7: I would try the self taught method first. If you need more help than take a class. The Fusion is a very easy suit to dive.

The deal posted for DRIS is great!

I am going to try to see if either of the two Whites dealers around here rent suits.
Often without a drysuit cert card they will not rent you a suit. Depends on your connection with the shop. As mentioned Mike from Dive Right In Scuba does let you try on a suit, and if it doesn't fit you can send it back.

I was thinking I need the small/med. I seem to be right between the xs/sm and the sm/med using their charts.
"Typically" with the Fusion the larger of the size you fall between is better.

I was thinking if I purchase that brand, I will go with the fusion boots (the boots are dry, right?). I know other people mentioned other boot options, I am confused.
The boots are wet boots. The socks attached to the suit are dry. I prefer a removable shoe that is cheap and offers good ankle flexibility. Therefore I use Converse Pro Chuck Taylors purchased from Ebay. $20 for a bright yellow pair and I am happy. Others use wetsuit booties, and I am sure there is some other creative footwear used too.

I am unclear what to put underneath. Do I need to buy their underwear, too?? Seems like most of you don't bother. How will I know how much to put underneath in terms of keeping warm?
We all wear something underneath or we would freeze. How much you need depends on your personal tolerance to cold. They make fancy expensive undergarments. Some people like me chose to use our every day fleece sweatshirts and fleece sweatshirts. As I mentioned above I put another layer on underneath which are just long underwear, like one would use when snowboarding.

Do you dive with dry gloves?
In cold water yes. Warm water I go bare handed.

And, here is the stupid questions ... does the suit connect to my octo or does it need its own can?
As Andy mentioned you need another hose, that will come with the suit. This hose passes under your left arm, under your BC strap and hooks into the fitting. The trick is to connect the inflator before putting your BC on.

Also, less stupid, has anyone tried any of Whites "heat" hoods? They seem like standard 7/5 wet hoods.
I use a 12mm hood for cold water. So no I have no tried one of Whites hoods, but it sounds like they threw a fancy name onto a wet hood.

Oh, one more questions, how do you size the silicon neck and wrists for the "seal lock technology" system?
Measure your wrists and neck, and supply them to the dealer when you buy your suit. Let them figure out what you need. By "seal lock technology" I assume you mean the Si Tech Neck Tite and permanent wrist rings? If so I would recommend the oval system on the wrists, as it is less bulky.

Oh, and another, do you think I can just train myself to use the suit?? Thanks, EVERYONE for your replies!
I never took a class. There are things you may learn in a class that could be important. Reading and understanding the quirks of a drysuit will definitely help. Knowing what to do if your legs fill with air and you start feet first going up for instance. Also keeping your dives shallow for the first ones and getting your weighting perfected is important for safety. I am in the use the suit inflator to take off squeeze and adjust buoyancy with your wing club. Some people teach to use the drysuit for everything, but it doesn't vent as fast as a wing. Plus it can be harder to control a larger bubble moving around the suit. You will learn you can change your trim by adding or removing air from your feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom