Drysuit recommendations for Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my concern is the in-between, like what do you even do once you go to change out of your equipment on a freezing cold day?! Do you just throw a towel over your car seat and just stay suited?

That is where the Surf Fur poncho comes in, you can wear it over a wetsuit between dives to keep you warm. And use it to change out of your wetsuit after a dive.

And the best thing you can do to warm up after a dive is to take the wetsuit off and get dry. A wetsuit only works under the water, above the water it acts like sweat and cools you down further. The Surf Fur counters this somewhat by stopping the wind from causing surface evaporation of the water on your wetsuit, but it isn't 100%.

Whoever said to check Facebook Marketplace, I'll have to keep that option open. There are quite a lot of drysuits for sale in my area, perks to living in FL I guess. Price range seems to float between 200 and 500, but a lot do mention "replace seals" and such. Seems like it would be a lot of service work.

Whoever said to check Facebook Marketplace, I'll have to keep that option open. There are quite a lot of drysuits for sale in my area, perks to living in FL I guess. Price range seems to float between 200 and 500, but a lot do mention "replace seals" and such. Seems like it would be a lot of service work.
Kayakers replace seals themselves on their dry suits all the time. There’s no use for rings when paddling. It’s not hard if you have time, a well ventilated space, and are a bit handy. Kokatat has good tips.

Are you a standard size or do you have a hard time finding regular clothes? Something to keep in mind when looking for a used drysuit. If a used suit listing says “new zipper needed,” run far away. Zippers are hundreds of dollars.

Keep in mind also with a drysuit you may also need larger fins (for the foot pocket) and more weights and a harness for those.

I dove in my 5 mm suit last winter and 3 mm the rest of the year but as was mentioned it's very personal.

Do people use drysuits in Florida
Certainly. I wear one soon as it reaches the mid 70s. Drysuits up in the springs is basically the norm.

Are you a standard size or do you have a hard time finding regular clothes? Something to keep in mind when looking for a used drysuit. If a used suit listing says “new zipper needed,” run far away. Zippers are hundreds of dollars.
Ah so the zipper is like half the expense...

I'm the standard American height and weight (5 ft 10 and 185 ibs), so most normal sizes fit with no issues.

Keep in mind also with a drysuit you may also need larger fins (for the foot pocket) and more weights and a harness for those.

I dove in my 5 mm suit last winter and 3 mm the rest of the year but as was mentioned it's very personal.
I've got one of those fins with the EBA buckels on the side, which currently do fit boots well. But yea, sounds like a weight belt comes out and the extra weight is added to that.

It could be $300-$400 for zipper replacement.

I think based on the cost a 7mm might be fine, and maybe drysuit is something I worry about only if I'm freezing when I try to head out this weekend or another.

Last q, are there any brands to avoid completely? What are the good brands? If the seals need to be replaced, is that an expensive charge? Is it worth just handing a used suit over to a local shop to initially service and leak test? I'm sure altogether for the extra weight, undersuit, suit itself, and training I'm looking at a grand easily...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom