Drysuit recommendations for Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see some semidrysuits online that people are claiming keep them warm at 40 farenheit. Are semi-drysuits good?

Do the hoods follow the same mm patterns as the wetsuits? Right now I have 2mm gloves.

Don't know, I pretty much use my drysuit unless I'm in a pool.

I know some people with them who like them, but no person experience with them. Remember the key to wetsuit is fit.

Don't know, I pretty much use my drysuit unless I'm in a pool.

I know some people with them who like them, but no person experience with them. Remember the key to wetsuit is fit.
You've probably done ice diving haha, meanwhile I've seen snow once in my life on a trip XD

Until 2 years ago we lived in Michigan and dove there or in nearby quarries from summer into fall. Water temp varied a little but we found our 7mm farmer johns OK down to mid-50s, though it was definitely not warm. That included hood and thick gloves. I once shore dove in the same suit in Massachusetts in about 60-62F and it felt very comfortable, and I doubt it will get that cold here so I expect I've got it covered.

I probably will not use my 7mm here in FL, just 3 or occasionally 5 in Jan-Feb, but might consider putting on my hood those months, which I've yet to do. Even at BHB where the dives tend to be closer to 2 hours I think heavier wetsuits are fine.

You've probably done ice diving haha, meanwhile I've seen snow once in my life on a trip XD

Ice diving in WI in Feb. 38 degree water. I’m a Michigan native. Cold water is best water. :D
E54C775E-550F-44E5-8E63-5E2C3183F4AB.jpeg

Until 2 years ago we lived in Michigan and dove there or in nearby quarries from summer into fall. Water temp varied a little but we found our 7mm farmer johns OK down to mid-50s, though it was definitely not warm. That included hood and thick gloves. I once shore dove in the same suit in Massachusetts in about 60-62F and it felt very comfortable, and I doubt it will get that cold here so I expect I've got it covered.

I probably will not use my 7mm here in FL, just 3 or occasionally 5 in Jan-Feb, but might consider putting on my hood those months, which I've yet to do. Even at BHB where the dives tend to be closer to 2 hours I think heavier wetsuits are fine.
Yeah I'm leaning towards either a 7mm or a semidrysuit. I'll have a better idea next time I touch the water in my 3mm lmao

Drysuit seems to be overkill from the feedback I've seen so far. Based on the pricing and all the other considerations, seems to be not worth it in Florida.

Never done ice and don't plan on it. I did see 31 degrees one winter though.

Is that a tech setup? I see multiple bottles 0_0
I dive sidemount exclusively. I use LP50s (the skinny ones in the ice diving photo) for fun stuff when I want redundancy but light tanks. I use my heavier, bigger LP85s for cave/mine diving.

You can dive SM and not be a tech diver, but I do tech.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom