Drysuit question: corn starch, not talcum powder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read recently that inhaling talcum powder could hurt one's lungs over time. Has anyone else heard this? Is corn starch a good substitute for one's dry suit?

I use Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

the K

I use talcum powder and have never heard of using corn starch. And if you need to put on enough talcum powder that you are breathing it in I think you are using too much. Talcum powder is what the manufacturers recommend and I'm guessing that they know what they are talking about.

Actually I know at least one PNW manufactorer is considering switching from talcum. Just cause we always have, doesn't mean it is necessarily the best choice.

I don't think it takes too much to end up inhaling some when you are putting on your neck seal.

Just gathering input. Corn starch seems like an easy alternative, but was wondering if there were any known problems or downsides to using it instead of talcum.

I use baby shampoo to get into my suit but talk for storage. Now that you mention it my Zodiac manual says when you assemble it to use corn starch not talk. They must know something. Maybe I will change over to corn starch.

Charles

The Kraken:
I use Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

the K

Likewise.. I use a 50/50 mix of baby shampoo and water in a little spray bottle...
As far as storing them, my drysuits don't sit around long enough to get stored :D

Abitton,

Kind of like Missy, storing my d/s is not an issue. Even though I live in the south, my d/s gets used all year long. At out local mud hole, Lake Lanier, and many of the quarries we dive, the temps below the thermocline drop to the lower 50's. Whenever I plan a dive to those temps out comes the d/s . . . and those plans are frequent.

I'm no chemical engineer, but I can't see how either talc or corn starch could provide a long term storage protection for latex seals. I think the only way one could do that is to protect the materials from air completely.

the K

The Kraken:
Abitton,

Kind of like Missy, storing my d/s is not an issue. Even though I live in the south, my d/s gets used all year long. At out local mud hole, Lake Lanier, and many of the quarries we dive, the temps below the thermocline drop to the lower 50's. Whenever I plan a dive to those temps out comes the d/s . . . and those plans are frequent.

I'm no chemical engineer, but I can't see how either talc or corn starch could provide a long term storage protection for latex seals. I think the only way one could do that is to protect the materials from air completely.

the K

Good point. Mind you, now that I actually have one, I may be diving year round also (I'll be trying, anyway!).

I was thinking that, in between dive days, the talc (or corn starch) prevented the latex from sticking from humidity or whatnot?

I actually did my first two dry dives on Sunday, and was going to talc up the seals before hanging or putting the thing in its bag, as the pockets have finished drying...

EDIT: I suck at diving with a drysuit!! :D Can only get better!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom