Drysuit question: corn starch, not talcum powder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay the course, my friend. It takes a few dives to get used to "balancing the bubble".

It's well worth the efforts expended . . . .

the K

It's problem that has the most wonderful solution:

Go out and DIVE!

I hear ya!

And it's really cool to be able to change in a matter of minutes... Be dry during SIs... Aaaaaaahhhh... Sweet...

Here is an article that I have found on the internet, I bet there must be a lot more out there. The article suggests that talcum can cause cancer:

Talcum Powder can cause cancer

I will begin to use corn starch for the seals of my dry suit. I know that some divers use Seal Saver instead, but it is made of silicone and my dry suit manual DOES NOT recommend it at all! Cheers

I've seen some divers using KY jelly for seal lube looks like it works well but seems a bit messy to me and hard to explain to the Mrs.

Me I like baby shampoo, doubles as mask defog, and soap for the gear wash basin. All for a dollar at the dollar store.

Kraken Spit (some folks call it baby shampoo)

. . . Kinda like Brewski said.

the K

Abitton,

I'm no chemical engineer, but I can't see how either talc or corn starch could provide a long term storage protection for latex seals. I think the only way one could do that is to protect the materials from air completely.

the K

Its my understanding that the talc absorbs oils and other contaminants to prevent them from destroying the seals. The other important part is isolating it from air.

... I can't see how either talc or corn starch could provide a long term storage protection for latex seals. I think the only way one could do that is to protect the materials from air completely.

the K

Ozone is the problem for latex seals. -No long term exposure to rotating machinery like furnace fans etc. My ongoing solution has been to ruin them on rusty bulkheads before they dry rot. :eyebrow:

I use cornstarch to keep the Jersey farmers happy. Don't know any miners...

I've also wondered why they say to put talc on the seals to protect them during storage. It doesn't seem that it would prevent exposure to the atmosphere, so I guess it's just to prevent friction damage and to prevent it from sticking to itself.

One thing I've wondered, for those using cornstarch, doesn't cornstarch+moisture=glue normally?

I've used corn starch since day one on my neo seals. It dissolves when it gets wet so there is no messy streaks when you leave the water. Since the DS gets used all year round, I haven't contemplated long term storage powdering issues.

Actually corn starch (in suff. volumes), when wet turns into a non-newtonion mass which is great fun. Look it up on youtube!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom