Drysuit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:confused:I just recieved my new cordora trilan suit and want to install pockets.

I am looking for recomendations on pockets, there are so many to choose from, driverite $35 to Deep sea supply $90 and many in between, Velcro or Zip, what is better?

What is the best way to glue these on? I am unsure what trpe of glue to use on codora and what the proper prep is.

Thanks

I haven't actually added pockets to a trilam, but I have used a variety of pre-installed pockets, so my only recommendations is regarding the zipper vs velcro debate. I personally prefer velcro, it's easier for me to get into and close without having to look. I'm assuming drysuit=thicker gloves, so a zipper pull can sometimes be difficult. I would suggest looking for ones with a big closure flap so you have a lot of velcro to use when closing, that way you don't have to be exact.

Once I tried pockets on a drysuit, there was no option in my future, congrats on the future addition!

Don't put a zipper between you and anything you want to get at. If you do, you'll need the guy at your local tailor shop to get it out, and he probably won't dive with you if you use zipper pockets :wink: It only takes one little thread to jam the zipper.

Generally, bigger pockets are better than smaller pockets. I have had many dives where I wished my pockets were larger. Because of this, all my suits have the largest pocket available from Halcyon (I actually upgraded my suits from smaller standard pockets to the Exploration sized ones). There are bungee loops (which are better than rope or drings) on the inside, and a inside pocket for wetnotes. There is a small zippered pocket on the flap, but I only put non-essential trinkets in there. The H pockets have a good sized piece of very strong velcro on them. Its kind of a one time purchase, so don't worry about $$ too much. Its worth it to get a good product since replacing it means downtime for your drysuit.

I greatly prefer sewn on pockets. Glued on pockets seem to inevitably peel away from the suit at the corners. I simply don't have the patience for that, so I get mine sewn on and sealed. Yes, the chance of a leak is increased. However, that is mitigated by a competent person installing and sealing the pockets (Steve Gamble is a great choice). "Set it and forget it."

Bostik 2402 or equivalent two-part adhesive.

Make sure both surfaces are roughened slightly then cleaned with a little thinner. Put a thin layer of adhesive on each surface and let dry. Once dry, put another thin layer on each surface then let it dry until a knuckle touched on the adhesive comes away clean, put the pocket on the suit at this point and roller it down firmly ensuring no air bubbles.

Put a little weight on top and the leave to dry, ideally for 48 hours until fully cured.

2402 is available in the UK but I'm having a difficult time finding it here in the USA.

Bostik 2402 or equivalent two-part adhesive.

Make sure both surfaces are roughened slightly then cleaned with a little thinner. Put a thin layer of adhesive on each surface and let dry. Once dry, put another thin layer on each surface then let it dry until a knuckle touched on the adhesive comes away clean, put the pocket on the suit at this point and roller it down firmly ensuring no air bubbles.

Put a little weight on top and the leave to dry, ideally for 48 hours until fully cured.

can anyone tell us what adhesive to use? That can be found in the usa? Someone has got to answer this question its been asked like five times without a decent reply.

@ Nick Bostic, scubamarketing. Nick, it's cool you are here, don't be a stranger. I have never had anything other than top notch service from Leisure Pro, and the prices are hard to beat. Good to see a representative from such a large retailer identify himself as such. I know it's OT :focus: but I figured most would give me a little leeway in giving a shout out.

Anyone know where to get Bostick 2402 in the US?
Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say that the adhesive you use depends on the suit you have. Some adhesives work well on urethane fabrics; others don't. If you can get some advice from someone who has worked on the type of suit YOU have, it will beat anything we have to say.

Aquaseal will hold seals on a Mobby's, and a Bare compressed neo suit. Aquaseal is bad on Fusions, but E8000 works.

Find out what material your suit is, and then pursue what adhesive you need. And take into account whether the repair will be a one-time deal. Using an adhesive on wrist seals that you can't ever get off limits your options.

Back
Top Bottom