Drysuit Pee valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

use Rochester wide bands of the proper size and cut the about half of the "attachment" end off the cath so it does not kink.

This is very well-received advice for the Rochesters, but I've found that it doesn't work very well for me. The issue is, the "sealing surface" on the union(?) is greatest about an inch back from the end, such that cutting down the cath tip too much may not leave enough area to properly seal against the union...thus leaks. In my experience, it's always the design of the one-way valve or suit-side bolt that is the greatest limit to smooth flow.

---------- Post Merged at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:58 AM ----------

I do not have a pee valve and have been very uncomfortable. so much so that I have been diving wetsuit instead, and the drysuit stays in the closet.

My current dry suit does not have one and I have been surviving. I have about 30 dives on it. There have been a few times I wish I would have had a valve.

Search the forums enough and you'll definitely find a good list of pros and cons to pee-valves, but I honestly think this is a case where the alternatives are not equivalent.

The hassle and concern over dealing with the catheter is absolutely, unquestionably dwarfed by the benefit of having the pee-valve. It really changes the way you dive (especially if it prompts you to switch from wet to dry).

The UTI issue is not to be dismissed, but it's also not common; big impact, low probability. You just need to be very diligent in cleaning the valve post-dive (I use isopropyl and let it sit 5 minutes before flushing with water, others just flush with a strong stream of water, but an important point seems to be to make sure the valve is dry for storage).

another vote for pee valve...

A pee-valve is one of the single most important and useful pieces of gear I ever purchased ... and I'm not exaggerating. I can't believe I ever dived dry without one. I don't do a single drysuit dive EVER without plumbing up. I recently purchased a new drysuit and I installed the pee-valve before dive 1 on the new suit. I did my own because I prefer unbalanced valves. Most drysuits, when installed at the factory, come with a balanced valve.

---------- Post Merged at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:00 PM ----------

The hassle and concern over dealing with the catheter is absolutely, unquestionably dwarfed by the benefit of having the pee-valve.

+100 and Amen to boot!

Been using a dry suit for shore diving since '89. Recently replaced my Viking and thought getting the relief zipper was a big step...not ready to think about additional plumbing. Just not in the water long enough to need it.

Unless you have a cast iron bladder there are not many things that will make your drysuit diving more care free. This is especially true on back to back dives where you may be in the bag for 3+ hours. Not needing to exit for relief between dives or when the urge hits you on exit brings comfort to a whole new level. Being able to hydrate at will is a huge plus for comfort and safety.

I find it's best to apply the catheter after the morning shower before body oils begin to build up. If I expect mixed company the stub that leads to the quick disconnect will be added before leaving home. At the dive site it's just a quick modest connection. Of course once in a while you have someone that is unaware of such a gadget and they ask what the heck is that!

I have gotten to using an overboard hose on extended wetsuit dives. Once again it's great to relieve at will and step out of the wetsuit fresh as a daisy. Once you have the case of catheters all things are possible.

Do it!

Pete

I am adding a pee-valve to my wet suit as well. I just dislike the idea of peeing on myself and dislike having my car smell of pee on the drive home.

I have an "H" brand pee valve, and it is nice, but Light Monkey would probably be my top choice today since they look almost identical, and it costs less. We already know LM has some of the best customer service in the industry.

If you contact Rochester they will send you a sample pack and a measuring tool. You can also go to most any medical supply store and get a measuring tool also. It is just a piece of cardboard with half moons cut out for sizing. Once you know your size the best thing to do is buy wide bands in bulk. The advice above about cutting the end off is good. Also good practice deploying your shears from your pocket to do so. I buy from this supplier. With shipping they have the best prices I have found for caths.
LHBWEB - Products

+1 for LHB.

When measuring don't flatter yourself. You want it to roll on without wrinkles, go with the lesser size if in doubt.

If you want to be discrete note the size in mm rather than Jumbo or extra small.

Pete

I haven't added my pee-valve,yet. I have to admit to being reluctant to using my drysuit or even diving a couple of times because I wasn't sure how easily available a bathroom facility would be.
She-pee and pee-valve is my very next purchase. Like, next week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom