Drysuit Or Heavy Wetsuit????????????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting initially certified in a drysuit is not that uncommon a few miles to the north in Canada or on other cold, cold places. With a little extra pool work can conservative initial dives post certification there is no reason to own the wetsuit if you really end up making mostly cold deep dives and can afford the initial outlay. Make sure you understand the pros and cons of the many choices before buying.

Pete

All I know is that when I would vacation in Minnesota in my youth the water in the lakes was cold enough to numb your legs after just a couple of minutes. I have dove both semi-dry (semi-wet) and dry suits, the dry suit is the better option. Just get the proper training. They can be purchased from places like www.divetank.com for less than $600.00-$700.00 and are well worth it.

Mike

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

one thing I forgot to mention is in the long run the dry suit ends up costing the same if not being a whole lot cheaper. The initial outlay is just more. They just last a whole lot longer than a wetsuit. You will probably end up buying a whole lot of wetsuits in the time you will buy one drysuit.

EvilSlumLord:
...A good way to find out if you can hack it in the wetsuit is to get your OW cert wearing one. I wouldn't invest in either until after you get that done...

I would have to agree with ESL. The best way to decide, if you've never used them, is to dive them. I would suggest this--whenever possible--with ANY piece of equipment. In my opinion, a reputable local dive shop (LDS) will be willing to let you purchase/rent any equipment and will then let you decide. If some item just does not suit your needs, or fit, or have any other problems, the LDS should have a refund &/or exchange policy to help you. Afterall, they DO want you as a customer to be happy and to return to their shop in the future! As you're taking your certifications, check out the possibilities of using various equipment and suits and make the decision with the assistance of the trained professionals around you!

Good luck!

I took the drysuit course. After 1 night in the pool, I announced that my drysuit would be on ebay the next morning. I hated it. After giving it a chance, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just get used to it. There is nothing, and I mean nothing worse than a wet wetsuit in cold weather!

... I don't find mine too cold to dive even this time of year in Lake Ontario. As long as I stay within rec. limits, I don't expect that to change. Really deep, really long would be a different story. On the other hand, the drysuit locks me into using a tank all the time. No swimming, no freeeeediving. For me the wetsuit is the more versatile piece of kit for the beginning.

(And there is usually really no reason to SHOUT like that on a post :no )

:)

Although what is "comfortable" is a subjective opinion, in a heavy 7mm wetsuit you will have 14 mm of neoprene over your core. There are some who go further, and in very cold water wear either a 3mm shorty either on top or underneath (17mm total). At some point you need to stop and consider how much those layers of neoprene are beginning to impact your range of movement, your weight requirements, and/or your maneuverability.

In a lightweight trilaminate drysuit such as a DUI TLS350 you'll feel so unconstrained its as if you could do a cardio-routine or your "Buns of Steel" DVD. :wink: Add an undergarment such as a Weezle Extreme+ beneath it, and perhaps a set of polypro long johns beneath that in February (keeps your weezle smelling springtime fresh longer - lets face it, no one wants a stinky weezle...) and you could go diving in the Antarctic.

Hands down, dude, for extremely cold water get yourself a drysuit and learn how to dive it. Hypothermia is no fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom