Drysuit neck seal rolls up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is it normal for a latex drysuit neck seal to roll up after putting it on? It's not a problem comfort-wise, but I wonder if I can cut off a couple of rings from the seal so that it doesn't roll up anymore and sits flat on my neck?

Hmm, my Hollis nor my Viking roll up, is this after you’ve purged all the air out of it or before? Have you dove with it?

It has nothing to do with purging air. When I put the suit on, the seal rolls up towards the outside (like a sleeve), not the inside.

Gotcha.
Did you try not putting it on, if you don’t put it in it won’t roll up…

Sounds like it is too tight. Try cutting a ring off.

Sounds like it is too tight. Try cutting a ring off.
Ok, so the correct way is to have the seal lay flat and not rolling up, right? (it's my first drysuit, so I'm still new)

Ok, so the correct way is to have the seal lay flat and not rolling up, right? (it's my first drysuit, so I'm still new)
Correct, the seal should lay flat against your neck. If they are too tight, it will try and roll. Insert a two liter bottle through the neck seal and cut with a new razor blade. Do not lift the blade, make one continuous straight cut. Scissors tend to leave a ragged edge. Stress risers along the edge are where a tear will start.

Correct, the seal should lay flat against your neck. If they are too tight, it will try and roll. Insert a two liter bottle through the neck seal and cut with a new razor blade. Do not lift the blade, make one continuous straight cut. Scissors tend to leave a ragged edge. Stress risers along the edge are where a tear will start.
Is it a good idea to start trying to stretch it out a little by putting an Aluminum 80 through the seal and leaving for 1-2 days?

Is it a good idea to start trying to stretch it out a little by putting an Aluminum 80 through the seal and leaving for 1-2 days?
If you have latex, yes, it will stretch over the first few months of diving it. With silicone, I have never noticed any permanent stretch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom