Drysuit neck seal rolls up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have latex, yes, it will stretch over the first few months of diving it. With silicone, I have never noticed any permanent stretch.
It's latex, but if it rolls up, I guess the added stretch probably won't solve the problem entirely. I was mostly concerned about damaging the seal by putting a cylinder through it.

It's latex, but if it rolls up, I guess the added stretch probably won't solve the problem entirely. I was mostly concerned about damaging the seal by putting a cylinder through it.
Unless it is cut for a abnormally small neck, it won't be damaged from it.

Unless it leaks I wouldn't cut it.
You can try pulling it down a bit so it starts lower where your neck is broader.
Otherwise as longs as it does not leak, ignore (like I do).

Ok, so the correct way is to have the seal lay flat and not rolling up, right? (it's my first drysuit, so I'm still new)
Yes. However, a new neck seal will relax after a few months of diving. So you do want it a little more snug to start or it may leak later. A proper fitting neck seal can also roll up at first when putting the suit on. Make sure to pull the edges down. On the other hand too tight of a seal can restrict blood flow and that is really bad. There is a fine line between too tight, too loose, and just right.

So, the illogical tip that works is to have your buddy straighten and push the seal down towards your shoulders. Often they roll when the top of the seal is too high up against the chin.

So, the illogical tip that works is to have your buddy straighten and push the seal down towards your shoulders. Often they roll when the top of the seal is too high up against the chin.
Wow, much better. And it's nice with the seal tucked in all the way into the neoprene neck cover. I was already stretching it using a steel 72, but called it off. Gonna give this a try and pull the seal all the way down every time now.

Had the same problem, when starting drysuitdiving.

Just pull the seal down and use a bit talcum. Then it wont roll anymore.
I do not recommend stretching latex seals. They will stretch anyway and there is no need to force it.

Back
Top Bottom