Drysuit neck seal. How tight is tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks anti-hero. The info on the DUI site is useful even though my suit is not a DUI. This gives me a fair idea of how the manufacturer thinks in terms of neck size relative to guide rings and I should be able to adapt this to my situation. Cheers

You might notice a red mark on your neck after removing your suit.
It happened to me for the first twenty dives. The fit was as described: pretty tight on land, unnoticeable under water.

I think the skin marks were caused by a reaction to some component in the latex. That effect is now gone, maybe the chemicals washed out after time.

Does DUI's chart work for neck seals other than the brand they put on their suits?

Latex WILL stretch over time. I have put my neck seals on a tank to stretch for 24 to 48 hours before cutting them. I then cut them until they are uncomfortable enough that I wish I could take them off, but not so uncomfortable that my vision blurs or my face turns purple to an observer. After about a dozen dives, that turns out to be perfect.

I believe the rings on latex wrist / neck seals are a standard, placed at a standard distance apart. Without some baseline to measure from carotid sinus related issues could be a problem.

I don't have anything to add to the sizing advice other than if you have it really tight make sure your first dive is an easy one in case you need to get out quickly (first hand experience here unfortunately!).

I will add that to be careful when you are cutting the seal. Latex is very forgiving in some ways but not when it has a tear. When you cut the seal make sure you don't have any nicks or sharp angles to the cuts. If you do then trim the edges of the nicks so as to round them out. A rounded edge isn't so likely to tear...a sharper one will tear.

This applies even after you have used the suit for many dives...check the seal and if you see a small tear developing simply cut it out by rounding out the edges.

"uncomfortable" is a pretty ambiguous term. What may be uncomfortable for one, may not be for another. Why not use a known quantity such as DUI's chart and then make small adjustments?

Becuase I don't find that the DUI size chart fits. The pre-cut seal on my DUI suit I bought (used of course) was at exactly where DUI said it should be cut for my neck size. It leaked horribly! I replaced the seal, and cut it much smaller. But I could still put it on, and I didnt get light headed, or dizzy. It just felt "uncomfortable". I'm sorry that this isn't an exact, scientific answer, but it's what works.

If you cut a seal too big, you can't go back.

Before I cut a seal, I always wet it, pull it down over a tank, and leave it for a day or two.

Don't know if that's right or not, it's just something I was told to do with my first dry suit.

Whatever you do, go slow and make sure you're otherwise really comfortable in your dry suit.

Also, make sure you're pulling the seal down below your adam's apple. If you leave it high on your neck, it will feel uncomfortable pretty much no matter what (unless it doesn't seal at all).

DUI has a neck measurement chart. Then you cut until the prescribed number of rings remain. That is a pretty good starting point. I cut one additional ring for comfort and I have no leaks.

Go to Diving Unlimited International / drysuit manufacture
Go to 'Tech Info'
Go to 'DUI manuals online'
Go to 'Drysuit Manuals'

It's on page 18 of the PDF document. Good luck!

I went to the DUI Demo Days where a company rep measure my neck and wrists. When I purchased my suit I used the measurements and crosschecked it with the measurement chart.

I have never had a leakage problem. Is the neck seal tight out of the water? Yes, but not to the point of discomfort.

Hi -

This is Kathy with DUI. You do not want to use our chart for another manufacturers seals as the cutting lines may not match.

As for stretching, we do not have any base for that. What we THINK happens is that the seals feel like they loosen up as the latex deteriorates. As they become thinner (due to ozone), they "feel" like they stretched.

Another tip for telling if the seal is to tight - if the skin on your neck is bulging up over the seal with a pronounced bump - the seal is to tight.

You are right on - always better to go slow on the trimming. And as many people have already pointed out, the seal usually feels noticeable on the surface but while diving it is not noticed.

Hope that helps.

Hi -

This is Kathy with DUI. You do not want to use our chart for another manufacturers seals as the cutting lines may not match.

As for stretching, we do not have any base for that. What we THINK happens is that the seals feel like they loosen up as the latex deteriorates. As they become thinner (due to ozone), they "feel" like they stretched.

Another tip for telling if the seal is to tight - if the skin on your neck is bulging up over the seal with a pronounced bump - the seal is to tight.

You are right on - always better to go slow on the trimming. And as many people have already pointed out, the seal usually feels noticeable on the surface but while diving it is not noticed.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Kathy!

Me, like a knucklehead, I trimmed my neck seal too much. I replaced it and pretty much followed Kathy's advice to the letter and my seal is perfect 60 or so dives later.

easy way to tell if it is too tight, look in a mirror, if your eyes are bulging :shocked: and you are turning blue...too tight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom