Drysuit neck seal. How tight is tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just picked up my first dry suit, trilam with latex seals. I am trying to get the neck seal right but am terrified of cutting it too wide. Is there any rule of thumb for how this should fit. I have taken 2 rings off it so far but it still feels tight. Any experiences or info would be appreciated.

Don't worry too much. If you make a mistake, you are out maybe $75 for a new seal to be installed. It would suck, but it isn't the end of the world.

Like everyone says, go slow. One ring at a time. When you try it on, move your head all the way back and forth, see if it feels like it is starting to pull away from your skin. If so, stop trimming. You don't want to get it so loose that you get a leak if you move your head too far. If you like that, you may as well dive a neoprene seal. :)

Hi -

This is Kathy with DUI. You do not want to use our chart for another manufacturers seals as the cutting lines may not match.

As for stretching, we do not have any base for that. What we THINK happens is that the seals feel like they loosen up as the latex deteriorates. As they become thinner (due to ozone), they "feel" like they stretched.

Another tip for telling if the seal is to tight - if the skin on your neck is bulging up over the seal with a pronounced bump - the seal is to tight.

You are right on - always better to go slow on the trimming. And as many people have already pointed out, the seal usually feels noticeable on the surface but while diving it is not noticed.

Hope that helps.

That is interesting, thanks Kathy. A gear tech at a local shop had told me the lines were a standard measurement, self imposed by the seal mfg.

I can't say I agree with the "uncomfortable on the surface..." description. My seal is comfortable enough on the surface I can sit down and eat lunch while wearing it. I've never had it leak.

I must add, however, that my neck is a little fleshy and I don't have pronounced cords at the back when turning my head. Those folks seem to have more issues with leaks. Also I have seen neoprene bands that you can put on between your neck and latex seal if it is a little too loose. they come in different sizes. These are similar to the Bio things, but just plain neoprene.

Most of the drysuit mfgrs have there own seals made for them. Latex seals are actually pretty easy to make, they just take a mandrill and keep dipping it until the thickness is achieved.

So no, not all seals will use the same sizing rings.

Thanks all for your input. I have trimmed another ring off and it feels much better on land, still tight, but my eyes don't feel like they are going to pop out of my head anymore. I am diving the next couple of days so I will see how it goes underwater. Confident I have got it right, I will let you know how I go. Thanks again

DUI has a neck measurement chart. Then you cut until the prescribed number of rings remain. That is a pretty good starting point. I cut one additional ring for comfort and I have no leaks.

Go to Diving Unlimited International / drysuit manufacture
Go to 'Tech Info'
Go to 'DUI manuals online'
Go to 'Drysuit Manuals'

It's on page 18 of the PDF document. Good luck!
The chart is also available here:
Latex Seals For Drysuits and Cutting Guide
without navigating or scrolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom