Drysuit Hood recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiverTony

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Bare trilam drysuit with a neoprene neck seal, and also a new Bare HD Tech Dry hood with zipper. When I put the hood on, I am not able to zip up the part of the hood that goes around my neck because it is way too tight (because of the neo neck seal being tucked under the hood). Can anyone recommend a good drysuit hood that has good flexibility in the neck area and that will help me get a good seal between my hood and neoprene neck seal without choking me to death? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

For me the Bare hood with the zipper fit well in my neck, but did not fit well on the top of my head where it was a little too loose. This was the bare hood that came closest to being the right size. For me the best fitting hood was a DUI hood. I tried lots of different brands and the DUI fit my head and neck the best, it was also among the thickest hoods of those I considered.

Hood fit is like wet suit fit, you just need to get the one that fits the best and is thick enough to provide you with the thermal protection you need. Go to a shop, or several shops, and find the one you like the best and buy it!

Mark Vlahos

P.S. With the neoprene neck seal, are you folding it in and down (appropriate for skin OUT seals) or are you pointing it up (appropriate for skin IN seals)? Pointed down it is of course much thicker, but that bulk is lower.

Exactly regarding fit. When I ordered my OS suit the measurement said I took a medium. WRONG! A large is what I wear. Try different manufacturers.

Mark Vlahos:
P.S. With the neoprene neck seal, are you folding it in and down (appropriate for skin OUT seals) or are you pointing it up (appropriate for skin IN seals)? Pointed down it is of course much thicker, but that bulk is lower.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am folding the neck seal in to create the seal on my neck. I just need a hood that is stretchy/flexible enough, or that provides enough room to fit over the neck seal without being too tight. I did see the DiveRite EX935 drysuit hoods online, and they look good, but don't know what they are like in person. My LDS only carries a couple of different kinds of hoods in stock, so anything else would have to be a special order I imagine.

Thanks,
Tony

NJdiverTony:
I just picked up a new Bare trilam drysuit with a neoprene neck seal, and also a new Bare HD Tech Dry hood with zipper. When I put the hood on, I am not able to zip up the part of the hood that goes around my neck because it is way too tight (because of the neo neck seal being tucked under the hood). Can anyone recommend a good drysuit hood that has good flexibility in the neck area and that will help me get a good seal between my hood and neoprene neck seal without choking me to death? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Call these guys:

http://otterbaysuits.com/

They make custom-sized hoods. They'll ask you for something like 5 different measurements and then make the hood to your specs. They make them as thick as 12mm if you want something REALLY warm.

NJdiverTony:
Hi Mark,

Yes, I am folding the neck seal in to create the seal on my neck. I just need a hood that is stretchy/flexible enough, or that provides enough room to fit over the neck seal without being too tight. I did see the DiveRite EX935 drysuit hoods online, and they look good, but don't know what they are like in person. My LDS only carries a couple of different kinds of hoods in stock, so anything else would have to be a special order I imagine.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony,

Have you ever bought shoes online? Getting a hood online is about as risky, sizes vary and both the feet and head are different from one person to the next. Some online retailers will send you different hoods for you to try to pick your favorite from, call some up and ask.

LG Divers suggestion of getting a custom hood made is one way to go, but it is still a bit risky. If the custom fits then it is probably the best of all options since it can be custom fit for your particular situation, but there are probably no refunds if the size is not right. Is there a custom wet suit maker in your area? You might need to drive a couple of hours, but I will bet there is someone who does custom work in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, or even as far as Connecticut.

You have a few options, unfortunately none of them are easy, they require a little time and leg work.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

I also, am a new dry suit owner. Has anyone had any experience with Latex hoods, do they go under a neophrene hood. I have a 5mil hyperstretch wetsuit hood, can that be used? I guess I.m confused about diving dry and still subjecting my head to an Atlantic Ocean brain freeze. Help!!!!:11doh:

I have a stout neck and neoprene seals. Even with a Harvey's Super XL (SXL) hood I inflated a volleyball in the neck for a few nights to relax the neck area.

Pete

Rick2:
I also, am a new dry suit owner. Has anyone had any experience with Latex hoods, do they go under a neophrene hood. I have a 5mil hyperstretch wetsuit hood, can that be used? I guess I.m confused about diving dry and still subjecting my head to an Atlantic Ocean brain freeze. Help!!!!:11doh:
I use the same or similar hood (Henerson 5-mil gold core). It's a perfect fit for me and easy on/off. It has a long bib that tucks into a hood collar on my DUI DS. This keeps my head warm in 40 degree water. In contrast, the DUI hood that came with the DS made my head screaming cold.

Moral: Fit is not the only important thing. You need the hood to be warm, too. You might need to try several until you find the best for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom