Drysuit has passed 2 pressure tests. Anything else I can try to locate a Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a pool test yesterday and wouldn't you know, the suit didn't leak for the lst time in ages! Argh. I only went down to about 6-8 ft. but I was sure to roll over, move my neck in every position possible, flailed arms, vented the shoulder exhaust valve, etc.
I'm completely mystified. The dive light inside the suit test only showed light through the stitching area where the D.C. logo patches are but there were no leaks there. It seems like the light was just shining through the sealant/seam glue.

Is the minimal depth I went to in the pool enough pressure to tell? I will inflate the suit with a tank and spray with a soapy solution but I doubt there are any pinholes, now, in the neoprene.

I can't for the life of me think of what additional variable is going on on the dives that I couldn't account for in the pool. The O ring on the inflator hose is a great and previously unseen suggestion, I'll check that out. Originally the suit took on water when I inflated but as I've said, on my last dives (to 105') I deliberately did not inflate yet the suit flooded anyway.

This is all extremely frustrating as you other leak victims well know.

By the way, does anyone here ever roll their latex neck seal inward like neoprene seals? That's the only other thing I can think of to try although I experienced no leaks yesterday in the normal outward (slight/3/8" maybe) outward roll at the top.

Thanks

Thanks icegirl. I just got back from our Dive Club meeting. On the Diving Concepts suits the latex seal, according to the manufacturer and my dealer has to be flat with no roll inside or out whatsoever. I've heard and read that about the Viking suits so I asked my dealer at the meeting tonight.

Mine has had a minimal rollover to the outside (about 1/4" to 3/8") which my dealer had trimmed for me and fitted and checked on a boat dive. He's going to trim it again for me tomorrow so that it's flat and we'll go from there. He's also going to dive my suit to 80ft. and says that if there is a valve problem, etc. he should be able to find it. I'll know in a couple of weeks as he can't dive it until he returns from a resort dive trip.
I hope we can finally get things ironed out.

I hear your pain man...I'm doing the same thing with my Moby... My arm leaks...and I can't find it. We have done presure upon presure tests, sent it in to some repair place, came back still leaking. My thought is an elaboration of the fill with water technique, by putting a fluorescent dye on the inside and going over it with a black light (like at an autoshop)...anyone try this?

Kwbyron:
putting a fluorescent dye on the inside and going over it with a black light (like at an autoshop)...anyone try this?

In the automotive world, the best way to find a leak (eg in a fuel tank) is to fill it with diesel as this has superior leakability properties) I suggest you mix flourescent die with diesel and fill up your drysuit with it.....:eyebrow: .... Not..

Actually, flourescent die has many advantages, I would suggest that you aviod flourocene (the yellow one) as it may stain you valuable garment,

Avoid Rhodamine (the red one) as it is highly carcenogenic, but look for something called Optical brightener which has little noticable colour, but can look very slightly blue when very concentrated.

the best source of optical brightener without seeing an industrial chemist is any laundry product that has the phrase "whiter whites" on it.

Any black light should make the leak source glow like a mofo.

cancun mark:
In the automotive world, the best way to find a leak (eg in a fuel tank) is to fill it with diesel as this has superior leakability properties) ...

Not hardly. If the fuel tank is leaking we use a evaporative emissions testing station that uses nitrogen and adds smoke to the gas tank. You'll see the leak. If it's even a small leak (it will detect leaks as small as 0.020"), the "check engine" light will come on and you'll get one of the infamous P0440-P0442 codes.

Now, for other leaks, we will add a specialized dye to the affected fluid. All of them that I have used are NOT something you'd want in your drysuit. They simply do not clean up. Even your hands will be stained for a day or two after multiple washings. Detecting oil, coolant, or A/C leaks, sure, but not a drysuit.

Use my turn it inside out and fill it with water technique. Don't use dye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom