Drysuit has passed 2 pressure tests. Anything else I can try to locate a Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was to add anything to the good advice already given I'd examine the zip carefully, sometimes one of the teeth have come loose and damaged the fabric.

cobaltblue:
On your next dive, go into shallow water, grab the boat anchor and blow yourself up. Be careful not to over do it and shoot to the surface. Have your dive buddy find the leak. My wife and I have used this system a couple of times with good success.

Note: BE CAREFUL, HOLD ON, and DON'T SHOOT YOURSELF TO THE SURFACE. This has the potential for bad things to happen. It is best done in shallow water.

:11: are you serious?

Try helium. I've seen leaks appear with an inflation of helium that didn't show up with air. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it myself,because I'd think air would be adequate

jim T.:
My Diving Concepts Neo Z Neoprene suit has passed two pressure tests and even blew the sealing rings off and across the room at my LDS! It's a new suit (5 months old) and I've had numerous dive buddies check my neck seal and wrist seals before I do my giant stride or shore dive (including my LDS/dealer).

Is there somewhere that the suit can be leaking that will still allow it to pass pressure tests with flying colors? I surface wet all over my undersuit and with about a half cup of water in each boot-maybe even a cup. Once, I felt a bit of "cold" on my chest area, another dive on my back. The whole undersuit is damp/wet (more than just condensation) so it's been impossible to pinpoint the water entry area :(

Will inflation and exhaust valves always show whether or not they're leaking in pressure tests? Will pinholes in neoprene material not show with an air pressure test, yet show bubbles during a pressure/immersion test in a tub of water?

My dealer is largely convinced that it's the neck seal even though they fitted it to me and it's still tight enough to be constricting on the surface. Does anyone roll latex seals inward/under as in a neoprene seal? Would this be worth trying? I've thought about putting surgical tubing around the neck seal for one dive to see if it helps but I really don't think it's the neck seal that's causing the problem.

Any and all info. or substitute testing methods to find where the water's getting in other than an air pressure test would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the neck seal just yet when I'm 99.9% certain that's not the problem. Help!!!

Thanks as always.
Something I've seen is that when a suit is under pressure at depth,the neoprene will compress,and water will leak around the valves,hence this won't show up in a pressure check at surface level. Putting GE silicone II on the the seating surfaces on the valve has eliminated this problem for me.

I had a leak in my suit and it nearly drove me crazy. Finally one night out of desperation I put the suit on and blew it up to the max. I had my wife standing by with a spray bottle full of soapy water. As I stood there looking like the Michellin man she hosed me down with the soapy water spritzer. Low and behold I had a pin hole leak in the rear of the suit where some of the original aquaseal had worn off. The leak produced massive bubbles with the soapy water but negative bubbles in the water when my buddy looked me over. This may be a way to find your leak. Give it a try....cheap and low tech. If it works...good for you.....if it don't...send it to the maker for repair.

seriously folks, what's the big deal with shooting to the surface from six or eight feet. I assume if someone's a drysuit diver, they would know to exhale. maybe I'm just spoiled with my own boat that I'm able to anchor anywhere I want. Makes for something to do during an SI when you're anchored off the beach.

Thank you everyone! I did want to know if an in the pool one or two minute quick dip wearing cotton shirt and pants over my undersuit to spot the leak source would be enough outside water pressure to tell anything? I usually open water dive to 60' and notice the cold water entry feeling for a second at 30' to 60'.

Do you all think a dive/submergence deeper than the pool's 15' is necessary?

If that doesn't pinpoint the area where the leak is (I still suspect the valve(s) I'll do the blow up the suit dry and spray with a soap solution next.

I'll be testing this week and will report back.

Thanks very much!
Jim

I have a trilam that was leaking for a while and I couldnt for the life of me figure it out. Turns out it was the inflator hose had a worn O-Ring and was sucking water into the chest area when I added air.

Just a thought.

cancun mark:
I have a trilam that was leaking for a while and I couldnt for the life of me figure it out. Turns out it was the inflator hose had a worn O-Ring and was sucking water into the chest area when I added air.

Just a thought.

Haven't seen that one yet, good one! Wouldn't even consider it. Makes me want to check all my o-rings before me next trip.

On my Tri Lam suit I tried the soap suds method by filling the sleeves with soup cans and the neck with a coffee can, and inflating the suit. Iwas not successful in finding the leak. I tried adding a refrigerant and used an electronic leak detector, but still could not find the leak. Out of frustration, and lack of a better idea, I filled up the tub with ice cold water and jumped in with the suit on. As soon as I felt the leak I jumped out to locate it. It was under the thick knee and shin pad. A few dabs of aquaseal and some drying time eliminated the leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom