Drysuit has passed 2 pressure tests. Anything else I can try to locate a Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Diving Concepts Neo Z Neoprene suit has passed two pressure tests and even blew the sealing rings off and across the room at my LDS! It's a new suit (5 months old) and I've had numerous dive buddies check my neck seal and wrist seals before I do my giant stride or shore dive (including my LDS/dealer).

Is there somewhere that the suit can be leaking that will still allow it to pass pressure tests with flying colors? I surface wet all over my undersuit and with about a half cup of water in each boot-maybe even a cup. Once, I felt a bit of "cold" on my chest area, another dive on my back. The whole undersuit is damp/wet (more than just condensation) so it's been impossible to pinpoint the water entry area :(

Will inflation and exhaust valves always show whether or not they're leaking in pressure tests? Will pinholes in neoprene material not show with an air pressure test, yet show bubbles during a pressure/immersion test in a tub of water?

My dealer is largely convinced that it's the neck seal even though they fitted it to me and it's still tight enough to be constricting on the surface. Does anyone roll latex seals inward/under as in a neoprene seal? Would this be worth trying? I've thought about putting surgical tubing around the neck seal for one dive to see if it helps but I really don't think it's the neck seal that's causing the problem.

Any and all info. or substitute testing methods to find where the water's getting in other than an air pressure test would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the neck seal just yet when I'm 99.9% certain that's not the problem. Help!!!

Thanks as always.

It's the neck seal, dude. Might fit "fine" in the dive shop but when you're horizontal at depth, and moving around, you're doing something to open it up a bit.

RJP:
It's the neck seal, dude.
...or not.

When the neck seal leaks, you usually know it. The neck is one place it's easy to feel if it's leaking. If it's from somewhere else, it might be more difficult to notice.

Have you had your LDS make sure your valves are completely clean? A leaking valve might only leak when being used - in other words, when the exhaust valve is being vented or the inflation valve is being pressed - and therefore go undetected during a bubble check.

Your chest being cold doesn't tell us much. Assuming your chest is at the lowest level while you're swimming, water will pool there, and when you push the inflater, you'll feel the cold.

Some leaks are very difficult - and frustrating - to locate. I finally gave up on one suit and sold it. If your LDS can't find it, I would send it to the manufacture, who probably can.

Good luck!

Turn the suit inside out (easier if it has booties instead of hard boots), close the exhaust valve, zip it up, then clamp off the wrist seals, then fill the thing up with water from the garden hose. It helps if the suit is on the driveway or somewhere else that you don't mind getting wet. Then clamp off the neck seal with some water in the suit-it doesn't need to be completely full, as it's very heavy like that. You'll notice any leaks as either spurts or streams. Mark the leaks, then repair once you dry the suit out.

Valves can leak and still pass the test. My DUI did and I had the exhaust replaced. No problem now. That said, small leaks can happen for many reasons. A common culprit is any extra piece on your undies like wrist pull tabs or extra material and of of course hair. It's usually user error (especially given that you are new to dry suit diving) although you may not like to hear that. It's pretty common for new dry suit divers to be wet the first several times. It's not likely that a pin whole leak would cause that much water to enter. My guess would be something getting stuck inside the wrist or neck seals but I'm not there so this is only a guess. Good luck!

On your next dive, go into shallow water, grab the boat anchor and blow yourself up. Be careful not to over do it and shoot to the surface. Have your dive buddy find the leak. My wife and I have used this system a couple of times with good success.

Note: BE CAREFUL, HOLD ON, and DON'T SHOOT YOURSELF TO THE SURFACE. This has the potential for bad things to happen. It is best done in shallow water.

Dannobee has the answer! Have some chauk and aquaseal ready to fix the problem. Mark the wet spots and then cover with Aquaseal. I have done this procedure twice - it is the best and quickest way to find and repair leaks. If you want it done right, do it yourself! If you don't find any, its the neck seal.

Phil

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. By the way, for some reason I can only get onto this board once per day (sometimes not at all) and then I get "locked out" or something... so if I seem unappreciative because I'm not responding that's what's going on.
As a back up, when I realized this was happening (Pete didn't seem to know why and I don't want to turn off my filters. This has only happened since the most recent site upgrade pre-summer.) I have also posted on the Deco Stop and have gotten some help there as well. Please keep suggestions coming though. I'm certain that it's not user error with the suit. My dealer has dove with me and sent me off on my giant stride after double checking my neck seal and I've been shaving, etc. I'm going to try going into the pool or on a one minute or two dive and see if I can spot a wet spot before it soaks everything. I'm suspecting the exhaust valve... I submerge with it completely open. Is that a mistake? My drysuit instructor/dealer taught me to open it completely but the D.C. manual says to start off with it partly closed.

The one or two times I tried it partly closed I couldn't submerge even though I hadn't put any air into the suit before diving.

Please keep the suggestions/ideas coming. I'll post what I've found when I find it.
Can anyone recommend Seattle area drysuit testing facilities who do immersion pressure tests and valve checks, etc.?

cobaltblue:
On your next dive, go into shallow water, grab the boat anchor and blow yourself up. Be careful not to over do it and shoot to the surface. Have your dive buddy find the leak. My wife and I have used this system a couple of times with good success.

Note: BE CAREFUL, HOLD ON, and DON'T SHOOT YOURSELF TO THE SURFACE. This has the potential for bad things to happen. It is best done in shallow water.
Just for the record, careful or not, I wouldn't do this in a million years. I

cobaltblue:

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NWIFH

Another way is to blow the suit up and put soapy water on it. Any escaping air will create bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom