Drysuit for very cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yuliyahol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

I’m planning to buy a dry suit and all the necessary equipment needed for cold water diving. My long term plan is to go diving to Antartica. As part of the preparation, I’m gonna do ice diving course in Alaska or Canada, and a lot of local dives (Monterey, CA)

I did some research but it’s still very hard to choose.

I will appreciate any advice on:
  1. Drysuit. Few factors to count in: I will be traveling with it a lot, very cold water, multi-day dives (need to dry quick). Considering these factors Trilam or Crashed neoprene would be the best option. Which is better? Any specific model advice?
  2. Undergarment. Should I get a heated one or a regular? I was looking at Santi Extreme heat and DUI XM450 JUMPSUIT.
  3. What should I wear underneath undergarments?
  4. Regulator. I’ve read that Sherwood Maximus SRB-7600 regulators have a free flow rate of somewhere well under 1%. Do you recommend it or any other?
  5. BCD. Which one would you recommend considering that I will use it with the drysuit?
  6. Dry gloves, hood, boots.
Any other recommendation for buying cold water equipment?

Thank you!

Hi...I watched a documentary on this dive and there was a professional diver (photographer too) and from what I saw, you have to use their equipment in Antarctica. I don't know for sure, but wanted to throw that out there. The coldest I have done is 42...

I would recommend bp/w with drysuit with at least some of the weights integrated. much easier than weightbelts when using drysuits. If regularly diving under ice you may consider using doubles for redundancy (can just turn the freeflowing reg off for a while and let it melt so that you can use it again) .
I have only dived 2°C or warmer water so far but have managed there without heated undergarments for pretty OK 40min dives... heated would be nice but the batteries and cables may be a bit to sort out. You will need a good light too.

Personally I would recommend Apeks regulators for that type of use (they are made for it and very popular here for that type of activity) but there should be other good alternatives as well. Here the Apeks ones are easy to get by and to get serviced and are affordably priced compared to US so they make lots of sense.

Dry gloves are a must, you will not manage with any kind of wet gloves in near freezing water. your fingertips will go numb in minutes and you are completely unable to warm then without coming out of the water if using wet gloves.
The hood can be wet if its thick. I like to use my 10mm Waterproof hood... close to 10mm hoods should work well.

you will want to try the "lip protector" rubber things which attach over the regulator mouthpiece. costs couple of bucks. it helps surprisingly much with the lips going numb in cold. you may want to leave the octo without it so that the octo is faster and easier to use (or at least test it first)

you may also test one of those latex drysuits, they technically don't get wet so will "dry very quickly" between dives if that is a serious problem for you. this may be something to consider when eventually going to the Antarctica trip but for local training the trilam or neoprene should be fine I think. Here the persons seem to use either trilam or latex drysuits for ice diving and all types of tech diving, I have never actually seen a neoprene drysuit in person so they must be pretty rare here I guess and probably rarely sold nowadays I guess

The US Navy tested regulators in Antarctica. There was only one that didn't free flow. Here's a quote "Poseidon Regulators have repeatedly come out on top in US Navy testing and studies. During the NEDU McMurdo Antarctica testing program, the Poseidon Xstream was the only regulator that suffered no free flows. Other Navy-approved regulators need extra environmental membranes and fillings with silicone oil in order to operate in cold water. This approach is wrong as it adds failure points that can quickly worsen cold water performance."

On the television show Northwoods Law the police dive team uses Waterproof drysuits for recoveries under ice. You could also sign up for an ice diving course in Sacramento or Reno/Carson City and save some travel time.

To keep your suit light and quick drying as well as lots of room for a variety of undergarments, I’d suggest the AquaLung fusion suits. I’ve used them in 33 degree water no issues and almost daily here in 45 degree water.
I also have a heated vest that takes the chill off and is much cheaper than a full battery suit (thermulation).
High recommendation for Apeks regs......simply one of the best out there.
Definitely a backplate and wing, maybe Aluminum plate if traveling/weight is a concern.
Waterproof hood, either 9mm or 5/6 mm
Ensure the suit has replaceable cuffs so you can use cheap marigold rubber gloves with liners.
Use converse chuck taylors for boots......cheap and capable.

1. Trilam drysuits, such as the DUI TLS350, dry the fasters. Anything neoprene takes a very long time to dry.
2. If you get cold easily, you will require 400GM Thinsulate such as the BZ400 or the XM450.
3. Do wear a good baselayer to wick the moisture away from your skin (Bare SB baselayer for example).
4. I've only seen tech divers that spend +2.0 hours and some +40 minutes of decompression use heated undegarments. If your dive lasts an hour, I doubt you will need a heated undergarment. I've done fine with my BZ400 1.5-2.0 hours with water temp at 53-55F. At 48F, I am gone in an hour.
a. If you go heated, you need to factor the cost of a battery, bulkhead (connector to battery & to undergarment) as well. Those are not cheap.
5. Get stainless steel backplate and a wing, you will be using more weight than with a 7mm wetsuit. Besides, they're just more comfortable and streamlined.
6. Dry-gloves are a must if you get cold quickly. You have better dexterity with a dry glove than with a 7 or 5mm wet glove (at least I do). Boots are a preference. I prefer integrated boots as I don't have to worry about another piece of equipment and I don't need to change fins from a 7mm wet boots. Hood, get at least 7mm but many of us use the 10mm from Waterproof. A good hood makes a huge difference.
7. Regulator, in Monterey anything will work. See plenty of folks go to +200ft with Scubapro MK25 and Atomic regulators. If you're going to do ice diving, might want a fully sealed first stage. As was recommended by Decompression, don't think you can go wrong with Apeks and they breathe so smoothly and easily.

Drysuit. Few factors to count in: I will be traveling with it a lot, very cold water, multi-day dives (need to dry quick). Considering these factors Trilam or Crashed neoprene would be the best option. Which is better? Any specific model advice?

Trilam. Something with smooth fabric instead of cordura will dry faster. Ursuit HeavyLight for example. It is also more flexible in cold.

• Undergarment. Should I get a heated one or a regular? I was looking at Santi Extreme heat and DUI XM450 JUMPSUIT.
  • What should I wear underneath undergarments?

The most versatile (and probably the warmest) is a separate heated vest. Many divers prefer Santi heated vest over the heated undersuit. Basically you want to wear a wicking layer (merino or fleece like 4th element xerotherm), the heated vest and a cold water undersuit like Santi BZ400x or Weezle extreme+.

you may also test one of those latex drysuits, they technically don't get wet so will "dry very quickly" between dives if that is a serious problem for you. this may be something to consider when eventually going to the Antarctica trip but for local training the trilam or neoprene should be fine I think. Here the persons seem to use either trilam or latex drysuits for ice diving and all types of tech diving, I have never actually seen a neoprene drysuit in person so they must be pretty rare here I guess and probably rarely sold nowadays I guess
Different places have different norms. In Ireland and the UK, most use neoprene/ crushed neoprene drysuits.

Drysuit: merino base layer from Helly Hansen, Musto, Diving brands etc.
You may want to get a hood that is connected to a drysuit to keep you warmer but I’ve heard they’re a bitch to get out of.
Use more air than normal in the drysuit - give you slightly more insulation.

It’s not just about buying things to stop being cold. You need to by hydrated. Hydration is KEY. Also have warm food before diving, drink hot coffee or hot chocolate, fully rested, protect yourself from the wind before the dive, stay active.

I’ve heard of people putting hairdryers in they’re on a hard haul boat into their drysuits before diving but I wouldn’t recommend that...

Back
Top Bottom