Drysuit exaust valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roughwater

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a Drysuit question. I have an old DUI TLS350 drysuit but in excellent condition. (Well... almost).

The other day it started leaking mildly from the exaust valve. I unscrewed the exaust valve and found that there seemed to be some 'broken' silastic around the hole / valve, but no o-rings.

I believe that the silastic has probably given way, because after screwing the valve back on, I became much wetter on my next dive!

Anyway - I'm trying to figure the best way to repair it. I've been told by one friend to try silastic, another one to try sourcing o-rings and a third friend told me to try aquaseal.

I was wondering if anyone here can give me any recommendations on what would be my best option. I thought that aquaseal may be a bit too harsh / permanent, but was also wondering if silastic is the normal approach to seal these valves, or whether they should have had o-rings in the first place.

Can someone offer some advise please?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

Older DUI exhaust valves are famous for leaking. While you have it apart you may want to upgrade to one of the new low-profile Apeks (maker of DUI valves) or a Si-Tech valve. Aside from that, Aquaseal should work fine.

Hi Battles2a5

Thanks for your reply. Upgrading doesn't sound like a bad idea, although I'm in the sticks and would like to get a few dives in over the easter break, so might wait until after then to upgrade as such.

Are you saying that Aquaseal is removable if I decide to change the valve later, or would I be performing a more permanent seal once applied?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

Actually - I was also wondering if anyone knew the official way of doing this (ie, by DUI). I tried downloading their manual, but it doesn't say anything about replacing or repairing the valves, just the seals and zip.

Thanks

Adam.

Just brush some aquaseal around the perimeter of the valve. Make sure not to get it in the actual opening. Also brush some on the dry suit around the hole. Wait a few minutes and twist the valve back in place. The aquaseal will peel off when you're ready to replace the valve. If it's not too old, it shouldn't even need any heat. If it does, just put a hair dryer on it for a few seconds.

Dive-aholic and Battles gave great advice! I have a tls and replaced the valve when
it started to leaking ten plus years ago. It is fairly simple. If I remember correctly there
where very good directions that came with my new valve.
See you topside! John

I've got 5 Viking exhaust valve - that is brand new. Unfortunately, I think it is slightly smaller than most exhaust valve, unless you can give me the measurement.

This guy was selling them dirt cheap on ebay... and I needed one for my drysuit.

Anyhow, pm me with the dimentions if you want want cheap.

Just brush some aquaseal around the perimeter of the valve. Make sure not to get it in the actual opening. Also brush some on the dry suit around the hole. Wait a few minutes and twist the valve back in place. The aquaseal will peel off when you're ready to replace the valve. If it's not too old, it shouldn't even need any heat. If it does, just put a hair dryer on it for a few seconds.
My experience with aquaseal is at it will not peel off rubber or nylon - ever. I could see using it sparingly on he body of the valve itself, (as long as it is still removeable) but I'd never use it on the suit with the intent of removing it.

Rubber cement is a far better adhesive to use in an application where you want to peel it off later.

If the valve is broken or leaking, replace it. A flooded suit can not only leave you cold but negatively bouyant and rlying solely on the wing. A double failure is unlikely, but don't ask for it by diving with a valve with a known problem.

Actually - I was also wondering if anyone knew the official way of doing this (ie, by DUI). I tried downloading their manual, but it doesn't say anything about replacing or repairing the valves, just the seals and zip.

Thanks

Adam.

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuit_repair_outline.pdf

Page 9 just calls for some silicone sealant if the valve is leaking.

If you don't want to do it yourself, here is the repair order form:

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/repairorder.pdf

I had to have the sleeves shortend on my sig series and I had the suit back in 2 weeks (including shipping from the east to west coast and back)

Thanks guys for your help, and battles2a5 for the link to DUI repair! I'm going to give it a shot myself as I would like to get some diving done over the Easter break. (Either that, or I'm going to get one really wet dive in :wink:)
Will see how I go.
Cheers
Adam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom