Drysuit dump valve (bare)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the valve all the way open and I may be a little light as well, I am going to try the recommendation of right shoulder down, left arm up. I was going from horizontal to vertical to a few degrees past vertical to get the valve where I thought it needed to be to get the air out.

I think the sugestions here are better than the way I was doing it. Thank you to all the SB folks, my first post was very productive!

The water was alittle chilly that day (36 deg F), I was in the water 90 consecutive minutes and with diving concepts mid weight fleece over underarmor "cold gear" I stayed toasty except my fingers, maybe dry gloves are in my future.

I have the valve all the way open and I may be a little light as well, I am going to try the recommendation of right shoulder down, left arm up. I was going from horizontal to vertical to a few degrees past vertical to get the valve where I thought it needed to be to get the air out.
Even through a thick hood, if you listen carefully in-between breaths, you should be able to hear the bubbles leave the exhaust valve. You should not have to break trim to dump gas from your suit; rolling slightly to the right is all that's required.
The water was a little chilly that day (36 deg F), I was in the water 90 consecutive minutes and with diving concepts mid weight fleece over underarmor "cold gear" I stayed toasty except my fingers, maybe dry gloves are in my future.
I have the Viking bayonet-style drygloves (Atlas 620 orange gloves worn with midweight liners). They mount very nicely to the Bare bell-style latex wrist seals. Not too expensive either (about $100). I ordered them from Bob3 here on ScubaBoard. Great guy to work with.

Originally the OP mentioned possibly moving the valve?? maybe you guys can correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall the valve gasket being welded into place on the nexgen. If memory serves me right, it is a hard-ish plastic sealing surface that is inserted into the NexGen material and so just patching (which involves sending the suit back to the factory for welding anyways) and poking a new hole like on a neoprene suit is not going to be ideal....

just thinking aloud

tregrrr, good thought. I am almost certain now this it a technique problem, not an equipment one.

I am making a tank size change (waiting to get it back from hydro) and an undergarment change. As soon as I have those items in hand I am heading to the pool to weight out. Then I am going to lay on the bottom and put air in, and vent air out, then repeat until I get it figured out.

As soon as the ice melts I am going to do the same in some open water.

what kind of clothing are you wearing underneath? i found that soft shells don't let air pass through as easily as fleece. The Bare undergarment has a few rivet holes in the arm area to let bubbles out better. I also found that if the bcd shoulder strap is too tight it could restrict the movement of air in the suit. if all else fails, i do the 'chicken wing' and difficult bubbles come out no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom