drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
ok guys and gals...before you start laughing at me..lol is there anyone out there that can give me a few pointers on diving with a drysuit thats different then diving with a wety..i went in the lake st clair today and the suit did its job but i did feel squeeze at the surface though..thank ya..now you can go on with your laughing lol

snuggle once bubbled...
ok guys and gals...before you start laughing at me..lol is there anyone out there that can give me a few pointers on diving with a drysuit thats different then diving with a wety..i went in the lake st clair today and the suit did its job but i did feel squeeze at the surface though..thank ya..now you can go on with your laughing lol

Perhaps a couple of pointers (some of what not to do) on my own First Drysuit Dive

Good luck... with over 100 drysuit dives last year, I can say it becomes 2nd nature pretty quickly...

Why don't you take a dry suit course or spend time in the water with an experienced dry suit diver?

Diving dry is not necessarily complicated, but it takes a little while getting used to it.

because arnaud ..i dont know of anyone around here that offers a course like that..lol thats why i am asking..and by the way cwb thanks for the help. loved the website and your story..lol

...but the Dive Shop on M21 in Flint, MI, right next to I-75 is running a DrySuit Class on April 23 and 25 in the evening, with open water dives, perhaps that weekend. Depending on where in Southern Ontario you are, it might be do-able to get to the training, we're only about 90 minutes from Sarnia....

Hey cwb
That sounds like a real COLD learning experience. Now I can see what I have in store for me. My dry suit should be here next week. I hope I remember to add air to my suit. Did you get the brain freeze on the second dive? What kind of undies did you use?
Thanx
Joey

I'll PM you in a bit.

Its different that Wetsuit diving, but not like Night and Day - you just have to be more aware of some things, be more cautious at first, and after about 10 dives it becomes natural.

if you dive a lot, you'll get in the groove quickly. If not, I recommend divnig more...its a significant investment and usually a sign you're ready to kick it up a notch.

I'll send a PM.

You'll LOVE drysuit diving in So Cal.

K

taat2d once bubbled...
Hey cwb
That sounds like a real COLD learning experience. Now I can see what I have in store for me. My dry suit should be here next week. I hope I remember to add air to my suit. Did you get the brain freeze on the second dive? What kind of undies did you use?
Thanx
Joey

When I wrote that report, I was using the thinnest DUI undies. I mistakenly thought dry meant warm. Doh! Having the right protection is KEY! Now I only use those undies when the water temp is above 65°F

I currently use the Weezle Extreme Plus for diving below 65°F and add a paper thin polypro shirt and long johns for stuff below 45°F. They are very toasty for me, even for hour long dives to 37°F, and effective at removing moisture in the suit away from the body. In fact, they are probably too warm from most people, but when using a borrowed Weezle Extreme, my arms would still get cold.

Let me stress that you should only use enough air to "loft" your insulation (reduce squeeze). If you're still not warm enough, you probably need more insulation. Adding air just increases your dynamic instability.

Ya don't have to except being cold just because the water is cold. A good fitting hood, the right insulation, and some drygloves will go a long ways to you being comfortable and safer in even the colder seasons of diving.

later,
Bob

I'm still waiting for my dry suit to arrive. I called the other day and was told I should have it this coming week.

I ordered the Bare ATR HD. I also ordered the Bare CT200 undies. I was gonna order the softwear fleece undies. I went with the Bare because it has that water repellent nylon covering. I figured doing mostly boat dives I'm better off with water resistance if I get sprayed. I can't wait to get my hands on it and get into the water.

taat2d once bubbled...
I also ordered the Bare CT200 undies. I was gonna order the softwear fleece undies. I went with the Bare because it has that water repellent nylon covering. I figured doing mostly boat dives I'm better off with water resistance if I get sprayed. I can't wait to get my hands on it and get into the water.

I used to have the CT-200 undergarment.Extremely nice warm undies with one exception, all that water repellent nylon around your arms and shoulders gives you very little flexibility for reaching your tank valves. I now have the softwear undies and can actually reach my valves now. :D

Back
Top Bottom