Drysuit Diving What do you need...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at it, the J2 isn't that much more expensive than quality wool stuff, like the Smartwool 250gram top is $100 vs the J2 at $132. So right now price wise it seems like a wash, unless I can find wool on sale. And the increase in price might be worth it if that silver actually works.

Wool keeps you warm if it leaks or from sweat and condensation.

But Marie is right, between my two steel tanks, and my rather thin under garments should mean little lead should be required. *knocks on wood*

What tanks are you using? I dive sidemount Faber 108s in a drysuit and need about 12lbs lead with my Hollis Katana 2 in freshwater to be about neutral without tanks on. The Faber tanks are only about 1lb negative when empty so that means I try to get pretty close to neutral without tanks on.

What tanks are you using? I dive sidemount Faber 108s in a drysuit and need about 12lbs lead with my Hollis Katana 2 in freshwater to be about neutral without tanks on. The Faber tanks are only about 1lb negative when empty so that means I try to get pretty close to neutral without tanks on.

LP85s. I'll be doing a proper weight check, but I've been told that little weight if any weight is typically needed.

Though it will be nice to be close to neutral. I did a wetsuit dive with my PST HP100s (to drain them as I was making them into dedicated trimix tanks), and a stage. As I was going down the gallery my OPV was screaming and I wasn't completely neutral yet.

From a maintenance perspective, get some party balloons. Fill them up appropriately to block the wrist and neck seals without you in it, that way you can inflate the suit to check for leaks.

If you have a family/roomate you get bonus points for standing the suit up in the garage, fully inflated, and scaring the crap out of them when they notice it. Or in shower with the curtain closed if you are particularly devious.

Also for latex seals, get some talc and dust the seals with it once the suit is dry. A short sock is great to keep some in as a powder puff. Make sure you get cornstarch free talc, cornstarch can lead to latex allergies. I got my talc from a billiards store.

From a maintenance perspective, get some party balloons. Fill them up appropriately to block the wrist and neck seals without you in it, that way you can inflate the suit to check for leaks.

If you have a family/roomate you get bonus points for standing the suit up in the garage, fully inflated, and scaring the crap out of them when they notice it. Or in shower with the curtain closed if you are particularly devious.

Also for latex seals, get some talc and dust the seals with it once the suit is dry. A short sock is great to keep some in as a powder puff. Make sure you get cornstarch free talc, cornstarch can lead to latex allergies. I got my talc from a billiards store.
Seat the suit in a chair facing the door... your wife will think it hilarious (skip this suggestion if she ha a gun).

LP85s. I'll be doing a proper weight check, but I've been told that little weight if any weight is typically needed.

Though it will be nice to be close to neutral. I did a wetsuit dive with my PST HP100s (to drain them as I was making them into dedicated trimix tanks), and a stage. As I was going down the gallery my OPV was screaming and I wasn't completely neutral yet.

Assuming your LP85s are Faber's, I suspect you'll want to add some weight to your rig as they're even lighter/less negative than the 108s. The 85s are about neutral when empty. I'm 5'10 and about 180lbs, so not crazy overweight or anything that would add extra buoyancy. I'd hate to have to share air with a buddy due to a catastrophic gas loss and then be too light for deco or even to exit the cave.

Well I got most of the stuff in (well except for my water leg, but that is a whole other story), and decided to start trying them on for layering purposes.

I am using a smart wool 150gram sock and underwear in addition to the J2 base layer. I didn't feel like grabbing my heated vest but it is pretty think so I think it will fit fine.

J2 + Arctic: The arctic top is a little looser than I would like but it seems to fit fine.

J2 + Exotherm: Despite being the same size as the arctic it fits great. I wish the J2 leggings had the stirrups of the Exotherm and Arctic leggings

J2 + Exotherm + Arctic: I feel like the Michelin man and I am starting to sweat, but it fits fine.

Why do you wish the J2 had the stirrups?

The ankle rides up a little as I put the Exotherms or arctics when layered on top. Less of an issue with the arctic alone as it is looser.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom