Drysuit Diving What do you need...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been to Mexico yet, I am hoping very soon.

But yes Florida caves I am running the arctics, sometimes I overheat if I am overworking but I am completely comfortable other wise. Mexico I will probably run the Xerotherms.
I use the Arctics in FL and sometimes get too warm also. Xerotherm is popular in MX. I used even lighter (REI fleece) undergarments on my recent MX trip and was comfy for hour-long dives. For longer dives, I guess Xerotherm or equivalent is the way to go.

I’m well known to run hot. My usual cold water undies are a DUI DuoTherm 300. When I was in FL in December (caves and springs), I wore thin poly pro base layer, 250 gram Smart Wool, and the Fourth Element X-Core vest on top. Dives were 45-50 minutes at the longest. Not sure if I’d need more for longer dives.

I just ordered a new SF Tech and I was trying to figure out my undergarments. I am based during my work season in the Midwest and will winter in Florida with vacations to Tulum. I have a Fourth Element Halo 3d that I used for my fitting. I am planning on ordering a set of J2s for baselayer and depending on the temps and locations using either Halo3d or ordering a set of Xerotherms or Arctic one piece. We will be selling the house and living out of a 5th wheel so I need limit my amount of stuff. Any suggestions?
I also have a Santi Heated vest in case I get real brave.
C1 was in my future either end of next winter or the beginning of the following winter down in Tulum.

The Xerotherms or something thinner for Mexico is a given.

I personally think that the Halo 3Ds are probably very overkill for Florida, outside of maybe some super long scooter dives. So if I was in your position I would sell/store the Halos, and buy a set of Arctics.

Speaking of the instructors I know, they questioned my vest when I was wet and very cold, so I doubt that a heated vest would be looked upon favorably at the C1 level. But they are helpful to have, I keep my around to use during possible long decos in the future.

If you dive no-stop, you most probably won't need a heated vest. If you can avoid clutter and tech which can fail, avoid clutter and tech which can fail.

Me, I have two undersuits. My summer undersuit is pretty light. Works in 10C water or warmer. My winter undersuit is heavy and works at least down to 3C water. Both are fleece-based. I used to have a padded undersuit, but IME the fleece undersuits are more elastic and more comfortable to wear. No matter what, wear wool as your wicking layer (have I mentioned that before? Yes, several times)

When I'm in my winter undersuit, I carry some 4 kg more weight. Because buoyancy. I dive no-stop and have never missed a heated vest (nor a pee valve, but that's an entirely different discussion and not relevant here). But then I'm not tuning my weighting as low as possible. Weight = warmth.

And a good hood makes wonders. Your brain is your most valuable organ, so your body will protect it at all costs. Even if that means sacrificing everything else. Keep your neck and head warm, and you'll have a lot less issues staying warm in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom