Drysuit Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought a used Bare Drysuit(Trilam HD) with Hi-Loft Polarwear Extreme underwear and now decided to go diving in the Keys come February. Question is should I purchase new underwear for warm water diving or puchase 3MM suit for the dive? Is it right to take this bulky gear with me on a plane or rent something down there? Please help me...

I always fly with my gear - in fact, I can manage to take it carry-on, except for: air tanks and weights (rent at destination), knife and dive tools (pack in checked luggage), and fins (too large for carry-on - pack in checked luggage).

I was diving West Palm and found that a 7mm shorty top with gloves and no hood was plenty warm. I am pretty cold-tolerant, though.

I think that a drysuit would be overkill - a full 3mm suit should be just fine, and you will have fewer buoyancy issues. Pack a hood in case you find it cold. Plus, neoprene is more forgiving than a drysuit when it comes to failure - you can dive in a torn wetsuit, but not in a torn drysuit (the latter might ruin your trip).

Get a wetsuit. With a 3mm and a drysuit in your closet you'll be able to dive nearly any condition.

I'd leave the dry suit at home, drysuits are recommended for water temps below 16C/60F. Whenever I dove the keys I used a 3mm full suit and was never cold. If memory serves, the water temp was in the upper 70F.

Gene V

if you have a tendency to get cold,or are taking phots,get a 5mm. It will be fine in the keys for Feb. ,water temp will be around 75/76 ..You can also use the 5,mm for diving in LI Sound(I see you are from CT) in the summer.Leave the dry suit home.

It might be better to ask what kind of water temp to expect in that region for that time of the year.

I prefer diving my drysuit in water temps colder than about 70°F.
7mm wetsuit for 65°F - 75°F.
3mm wetsuit + hooded vest for 75°F - 80°F.
3mm wetsuit +/- hood for anything warmer than 80°F.

My cold tolerance is directly related to water temp, how long I stay in the water (#/duration of dives), and my activity level. I tend to hover motionless for a significant percentage of my dives when I'm taking photos, so that's probably the reason I require more thermal protection than the average diver who zips around under water. Taking a thicker wetsuit than you think you need might be a good idea if you plan on doing repetitive, multi-day diving.

If you end up traveling with your drysuit, I'd recommend protecting the drysuit zipper from having anything heavy thrown/placed on it. This can damage the teeth, which is not good -- dry zipper replacement is pricey. You might want to consider hand-carrying the drysuit for this reason. Just my 2 psi.

Have a great time...

Didn't think I would ever do this, but I dove my drysuit (no hood) in 79 degree water (top-to-bottom) a couple of months back. I didn't sweat to death nor was I uncomfortable under water.

Diving the keys in a drysuit? You're funny :D

Nothing funny about being comfortable, especially on multiple, repetitive dives over multiple days...

RJP.jpg

:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom