Drysuit Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're looking at water temps in the mid 70s I'd be going with at least a 5mil suit especially if you may be doing 2 or 3 dives in a day.

Maybe I'm just wimping out in my old age but I'm thinking about diving dry locally (Eastern Ontario) all year 'round (just a lighter undergarment for warmer weather) - our summer water temps are mid 70s.

Didn't think I would ever do this, but I dove my drysuit (no hood) in 79 degree water (top-to-bottom) a couple of months back. I didn't sweat to death nor was I uncomfortable under water.

I've dove my DUI 30/30 Tropical Drysuit in Bonaire, Curacao, Florida, Hawaii, Cayman Islands, Red Sea, Mediterranean and Truk Lagoon. With a thin set of Patagonia Capilene underwear I'm perfectly comfortable in water in the mid 80's.

And to be honest, the DUI is much more comfortable "on land" in between dives than a wetsuit, even in 90's w/full sun, such as on this SI at the Hilma Hooker...

WarmDry.jpg

RJP - that is "the life" right there.

What about a 5/4/3 wetsuit, it'll keep you warm where you want to be and not too warm.

What about a 5/4/3 wetsuit, it'll keep you warm where you want to be and not too warm.

I've got an Xcel 5/4/3 and still prefer my DUI 30/30 for everything but the heated pool at the shop.

:eyebrow:

Greetings Scubant and I will offer my opinion but that is all it is. If I were you I would buy either a 3mm with a hooded vest for extra warmth if needed or a 5mm if I was planning more than three dives a day.
I am really interested in the DUI dry suit that RJP is wearing and I have been interested in hearing about it. I have been looking for a warm water dry suit and it sounds like the one to try!
I am certain that it will set you back a little more than the 3-5mm wet suit but it really is your choice. Some people love to dive one or the other I like them both. For deep dives , cold weather "after September", ice dives it is dry all the way. I like to wear wet suits while training students in the spring so that I can be a thermometer for the instructor I assist. I do enjoy diving wet when water temps reach high 70's low 80's.
I just like to feel the water sometimes and sometimes I really do not at all, especially when it is hard on top!
Have fun in the Keys it is awesome and try out the suit you choose well in advance to be sure you are pleased.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom