Drysuit concern???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I chose not to take the class.

I read books and boards, watched the PADI video, then took my drysuit to the pool, then dove in a shallow(24 ft) lake, then went with very trusted drysuit divers to a local training site and took it real slow. Very easy if you practice the skills and have some folks to watch you.

I think the general approach ... use the inflator to get rid of squeeze, and use your BC for bouyancy is solid.

Good luck,

Justin

And remember your ankle weights! I use 2# per leg... and if you begin to invert bring your knees into your chest.

Also, you will need more weight in a drysuit. So be careful climbing up ladders, walking over unstable surfaces, etc.

Ankle weights are not necessary if the suit fits properly and your technique is good. If you are diving heavy steel tanks be careful that you do not overweight. If the class is paid for take it. One dip in the pool is not going to hurt the suit at all. It may though make the transition from wet to dry much easier! If done properly you'll learn alot. Even if it's a mediocre class you'll still get time in your suit. Renting a suit when you have just gotten a new one makes little sense. Why would you use one that may not fit correctly and develop bad habits right from the get go, by needing to compensate for problems you would not have in your own? Rinsing a dry suit is actually much easier for me. Because you don't pee in it! With the suit on I generally rinse the outer shell if possible if not when I get home, lay it out, quick rinse, hang it upside down to dry. This stuff should also be covered in the class- another reason to take it! And at some point you will begin to stink. Your undies will need washing, do you know the correct procedure for your particular set? Again covered in the class. Once the class and the few dives are over you can then get with some experienced divers and dive the hell out of it. That is where you'll really learn your suit. But again you say you have a credit for the class- USE THE DAMN THING! IT'S FREE!

Since I have you on topic about drysuits; HOW MANY DIVERS RECOMMEND THE CLASS, PAYING THE LDS THE $120 FOR THE COURSE?

I'm sitting on a credit at the LDS so it's paid for if I take the class. Would also like to know will the chlorine make my suit fade? I rather rent one for the training in the pool if it damages the material.

Take the class. Take it in YOUR suit. No sense in getting acclimated to a rental suit you're never going to wear again.

Pool chlorine wont bother your suit for a the hour or so you'll be in the pool. Rinse it very well when you're done and you'll be fine.

Consider borrowing some gaiters early on until you get used to the suit and get your trim worked out.

I agree take the class, as far as the cholrine rinse it well afterwards.The class will give you the right answers to your questions.

If you take the class you will learn to use your drysuit for buoyancy and your bcd to get buoyant at the surface among others things such as what to do if you get air into the legs of your drysuit.....

And if you have a good instructor he'll tell you after he gives the use the suit for buoyancy line like the agency may say to, he'll tell you the correct way to do it. Suit for squeeze- bc for buoyancy.

...learn to use your drysuit for buoyancy and your bcd to get buoyant at the surface among others things such as what to do if you get air into the legs of your drysuit.....

Or if the instructor teaches it "correctly" (suit for squeeze, BDC for buoyancy) you'll be much less likely to get too much air in your legs.

:D

Regarding ankle weights for dry suits...

I am always appreciative of different ideas, regional styles, etc. I dive in west Michigan and throughout the Great Lakes and I admit to being primarily PADI trained and certified. The drysuits I see in use by others and myself have stiff rubber integrated boots that, if you are diving in silty conditions and use a technique which keeps yours fins above your knees can easily collect air. The ankle weights are a helpful addition to offset this problem.

I'll try a few dives without them and get back to you! But I have no problem gearing up in a way that best suits my diving style rather than trying to look good to others.

The drysuits I see in use by others and myself have stiff rubber integrated boots that, if you are diving in silty conditions and use a technique which keeps yours fins above your knees can easily collect air. The ankle weights are a helpful addition to offset this problem.

I've got the same type of boots on my Evo 2, use frog kick for the most part and keep my feet above my knees, no ankle weights needed. Jet fins also help.

I guess it's a matter of approach/technique, but what works for you, works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom