Drysuit concern???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have the DUI CLX450 with Zip zeals. So my suit comes in today and I bring it home. I connect my neck zeal, and compressed neoprene gloves without a problem, very simple instructions.

Okay so I start the process of getting into my suit, legs first then the suspenders, then the left arm, then the right.... Okay so far, then the problem kicks in....

How the heck do I spread the latex zeal evenly with my thick neoprene gloves? I'm able to pull the neck seal with the gloves but I CANNOT DISTRIBUTE THE LATEX SEAL EVENLY AROUND MY NECK, THE GLOVES STEAL ALL MY DEXTERITY.

So here is the question, at this point in the process, is this a buddy problem?

Thanks,

MG

I put the neck on first, then put on the arms. It takes a little of a contortionist to do this but it can be done. Put the arm at the top of the zipper in first, then the other.

Hope this helps.

I put the neck on first, then put on the arms. It takes a little of a contortionist to do this but it can be done. Put the arm at the top of the zipper in first, then the other.

Hope this helps.

It sure did help thanks, after reading your post I went for round 2 and was able to very easy place my head through the neck seal. Then I adjusted the seal with my bare hands.

Then like you mentioned I worked one arm first, the left arm, then the right. You have so much material to work with it wasn't hard. However, I did all this without the insulation since I didn't want to huff and puff in the room.

Quick question, I noticed that the neck seal bends back or should I say folds back on my neck, is that a problem?

There is no leak because when I got down on my knees to blow out the air, it rushed out of my left dump arm, air did not escape from my neck.

So should I trim another layer off the neck seal or should I leave it alone? I just don't have a long neck. I should've taken a picture so you can see how it folds back.

Any other drysuit divers have this kind of situation? Do I need to correct this?

Thanks,

MG

That is the complaint I have heard a few times regarding the integrated gloves. One of my friends went back to wet gloves (Now ringed dry gloves), so she could stay in her drysuit during SI's and not have to wear gloves, along with your complaint too of lost dexterity. Many switch to a ringed glove system that is removable for donning and doffing, like the SI Tec gloves and the Viking ringed gloved system. They just put the regular latex zip seals on, and the rings attach to them.

Not sure what you mean by the neck seal folds back, but it is common for it to bellow a little. As long as the sealing surface sits flat.

One other tip for drysuit diving is to get some "Glide" and apply it to your neck front where the seal rides. It will keep you from joining the hangmans club. Glide can be found at sporting good stores and REI, and comes in a container that looks like deodorant.

That is the complaint I have heard a few times regarding the integrated gloves. One of my friends went back to wet gloves (Now ringed dry gloves), so she could stay in her drysuit during SI's and not have to wear gloves, along with your complaint too of lost dexterity. Many switch to a ringed glove system that is removable for donning and doffing, like the SI Tec gloves and the Viking ringed gloved system. They just put the regular latex zip seals on, and the rings attach to them.

Not sure what you mean by the neck seal folds back, but it is common for it to bellow a little. As long as the sealing surface sits flat.

One other tip for drysuit diving is to get some "Glide" and apply it to your neck front where the seal rides. It will keep you from joining the hangmans club. Glide can be found at sporting good stores and REI, and comes in a container that looks like deodorant.

Thanks for the feedback...

I will definitely get the gel today from my sporting good store. Regarding the neck seal, what I meant is the neck latex seal that you attach to your drysuit. It was precut to my neck and then I attached it via the soap/water solution.

The only problem was that as I glide my head through it the latex was folding back on my neck. I later found out that I'm trying to raise the latex up to high, it's okay for it to rest lower on your neck as long as it makes a FLAT SEAL AGAINST YOUR NECK.

I don't have a long neck so I was trying to copy what I've seen with other divers that have long necks. The end result was me rising the seal all the way up only to have my chin push back the seal into a fold.

I will try to lower the seal until I get a flat fix and then see if it roles back or not.

Thanks,

MG

I should have said, "Body Glide". I have used KY Jelly but the Body Glide stays longer.

If you haven't already before the water gets cold a 12mm thick Otter Bay hood will make a great addition to your drysuit.

Hi MG:

It looks like you're getting great advice. I can tell you as a bigger fellow (20" neck) that my seals always roll into my skin (They never stay completely flat). The main objective is that they don't get a twist (roll one side in and one side out) which gives water an avenue into your suit.

Don't panic if your shirt gets wet. Sometimes the suit is so warm you sweat.

I have 2 drysuits, one is an older typhoon ranger front entry, and the other a Dive Concepts front entry. The ranger has heavier seals that don't need to be glued on to be replaced.

The thing is to have fun and get some experience with your equipment.

Cheers,

Dan (ab8cd)

Thanks for the feedback...

I will definitely get the gel today from my sporting good store. Regarding the neck seal, what I meant is the neck latex seal that you attach to your drysuit. It was precut to my neck and then I attached it via the soap/water solution.

The only problem was that as I glide my head through it the latex was folding back on my neck. I later found out that I'm trying to raise the latex up to high, it's okay for it to rest lower on your neck as long as it makes a FLAT SEAL AGAINST YOUR NECK.

I don't have a long neck so I was trying to copy what I've seen with other divers that have long necks. The end result was me rising the seal all the way up only to have my chin push back the seal into a fold.

I will try to lower the seal until I get a flat fix and then see if it roles back or not.

Thanks,

MG

Rather than pulling the edge up, try pulling down on the body of the seal to get the edge to lay itself out flat.

I put the suit on again and this time I lowered the latex seal a substantial amount. The end result was so much better. Occasionally when I move my head around in all directions part of the latex seal bends back but doesn't stay there.

As I shift my head back the latex snaps up against my neck. There is a good amount of surface contact between my neck and the rest of the latex so I'm pretty sure I won't get a leak, hopefully.

Since I have you on topic about drysuits; HOW MANY DIVERS RECOMMEND THE CLASS, PAYING THE LDS THE $120 FOR THE COURSE?

I'm sitting on a credit at the LDS so it's paid for if I take the class. Would also like to know will the chlorine make my suit fade? I rather rent one for the training in the pool if it damages the material.

I remember during my open water classes I rented a old beat up wetsuit and had mine ready for the ocean only. I've kept my wetsuit looking like new and I've dove it about 45 times in Monterey but I also rinse with the wetsuit shampoo when I get home.

Are drysuits to be washed like wetsuits, inside out? Just curious...

Thanks,

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom